Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

I don't understand the meaning of "opportunities that blow your way". Please advise.

Regards

Anthony the learner

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Completely disregard my last post if you read it!! I totally misread it (as 'opportunities that blow you away') Sorry! :-D

Things that 'blow your way' are things that you encounter, sometimes completely randomly (like something blowing in the wind in your direction).

So an 'opportunity that blows your way' is an opportunity that you will encounter at some point, maybe even when you're not looking for such opportunities.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read it as "blow you away" as well the first time! Don't feel bad.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But I didn't {smug? moi?}. I thought of my A-level text ('A Winter's Tale'), and Leontes saying 'I am a feather for each wind that blows.' Certainly had a way with words, that Shakespeare bloke. ;-)

b

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

Thanks for your replies. In fact, the 'blow your way' is actually from an English slogan on investment opportunity:

"Harness market trends to capture the opportunities blowing your way" (photo attached)

I just find it very long sentence, and very difficult to understand. And "blow your way" sounds blowing ur opportunity away. What do you reckon?

Cheers

Photo on 9-5-12 at 10.55 PM.jpg

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Ah, yeah, anything 'blowing your way' is reminiscent of something blowing in the wind in your direction, this slogan is saying to take this chance to catch as many of these opportunities as possible that are out there coming in your direction.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let us pretend you are walking down the street. There is a wind. You look down, and see a $100 bill being tossed along in the wind and land at your feet. Look at this lovely thing that has just blown your way. Completely by chance, the possbility to get some money happened.

Now, apply this as a metaphor. There is no street, no real wind, and no actual bill. But still, by chance, some good possiblity came your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.