• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

stick out

Dear all,

How should I understand the underlined?

Does it mean holders cannot sell these shares or they will suffer huge losses?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Between 2007 and the end of last year shareholders in banks globally have lost almost 10% of their investment each year. Behind this international average lie some truly horrible losses. Investors who stuck it out in Dutch banks saw the value of their holdings fall by almost 28% a year. Holders of French, German and Swiss banks suffered average annual losses of close to 20%. Those in American and British banks lost 14% and 16% a year respectively.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: stick out

It's an idiom, and the entire phrase includes the 'it'.

'To stick it out' is to endure something to the end, so in your example it means those investors who did not sell their stock ended up with much lower stock values.

When I hear 'stick it out', I usually think you're enduring past some time when the situation stopped being comfortable or when you thought you would give up. So in the above example, it makes me think that the investors knew the stock was losing value, and while others decided to sell in order to minimize their losses, these investors stuck it out in hopes that their stocks would recover.

"I never thought I would get through this class, but I stuck it out."
    "I know it's difficult, but if you stick it out you'll be proud of yourself in the end."

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: stick out

Quote Originally Posted by Eartha View Post
    Dear all,

How should I understand the underlined?

Does it mean holders cannot sell these shares or they will suffer huge losses?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Between 2007 and the end of last year shareholders in banks globally have lost almost 10% of their investment each year. Behind this international average lie some truly horrible losses. Investors who stuck it out in Dutch banks saw the value of their holdings fall by almost 28% a year. Holders of French, German and Swiss banks suffered average annual losses of close to 20%. Those in American and British banks lost 14% and 16% a year respectively.
    It's true that if they sell stocks whose value has fallen (while they'stuck it out') they will make a loss, but 'sticking it out' has nothing to with losses per se.

b

Incidentally, if you omit the 'it' stick out can have a different meaning entirely - in the sense 'protrude'.