Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #1

    Interrogative sentences

    " Do you remember all those years when scientists argued that smokintg would kill us but the doubters insisted that we didn't know for sure? That the the evidence was inconclusive, the science uncertain? That the antismoking lobby was out to destroy our way of life and the government should stay out of the way? " {ret. 115}

    What rhetoric meathod does the author use for the last tow sentences? Is that right? What is the relation between the last two sentences and " remember"?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by notletrest; 24-Jul-2012 at 11:28. Reason: correct misspelling

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #2

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    That looks a lot like homework or an assignment to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #3

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That looks a lot like homework or an assignment to me.
    Sorry, I cannot see what you are driving at. Do you look down upon it? As it is , I haven't read such kind of sentences in my study.
    Thanks a lot!

  2. FreeToyInside's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 222
    #4

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Sorry, I cannot see what you are driving at. Do you look down upon it? As it is , I haven't read such kind of sentences in my study.
    Thanks a lot!
    What emsr2d2 is driving at is the forum policy of not helping students complete their homework assignments. The part that's looked down upon is giving out answers to students if it's something their teacher was expecting the students to do themselves. Is this part of classroom or tutor homework that was assigned to you?


    (not a teacher, just a language lover)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #5

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeToyInside View Post
    What emsr2d2 is driving at is the forum policy of not helping students complete their homework assignments. The part that's looked down upon is giving out answers to students if it's something their teacher was expecting the students to do themselves. Is this part of classroom or tutor homework that was assigned to you?

    (not a teacher, just a language lover)
    On the contary, it seems to me the more difficult a question is , the less teachers can answer on the website. I am no student. This is quoted from China's graduate entrance test for 2005, which I put forward in the column nearly half a month age, but there 's been no one to answer. This time I have to divided it into two parts, and it is the first one. It's easier than the next part.
    Let me give another example. I had put a question quoted also from the entrance test before the above one. What a pity that there 's been only one teacher who gave a key to it so far, but it is suspended.

    Indeed, I like the website,because there are many good teachers here. I have leaarned a great deal from them. I have to say thanks to them.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #6

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    On the contary, it seems to me the more difficult a question is , the less teachers can answer on the website. I am no student. This is quoted from China's graduate entrance test for 2005, which I put forward in the column nearly half a month age, but there 's been no one to answer. This time I have to divided it into two parts, and it is the first one. It's easier than the next part.
    Let me give another example. I had put a question quoted also from the entrance test before the above one. What a pity that there 's been only one teacher who gave a key to it so far, but it is suspended.

    Indeed, I like the website,because there are many good teachers here. I have leaarned a great deal from them. I have to say thanks to them.
    In your post you said "I am no student". I think it's very likely that we were confused because under your Member Info it says "Student or Learner" which is why we tend to assume that when someone who has described themselves thus posts a question like yours that they are trying to find out the answer to a test or an assignment before they hand it in. It might have been a good idea for you to post the information that you've given us here (ie the fact that this is an extract from a test question from 2005) in your original post.

    I am still confused by one thing - your original post contains three questions: "
    What rhetoric meathod does the author use for the last tow two sentences? Is that right? What is the relation between the last two sentences and " remember"? "
    Which of those three questions is actually your question to the members of this forum? Or did all three questions appear in the graduate entrance test?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #7

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In your post you said "I am no student". I think it's very likely that we were confused because under your Member Info it says "Student or Learner" which is why we tend to assume that when someone who has described themselves thus posts a question like yours that they are trying to find out the answer to a test or an assignment before they hand it in. It might have been a good idea for you to post the information that you've given us here (ie the fact that this is an extract from a test question from 2005) in your original post.

    I am still confused by one thing - your original post contains three questions: "
    What rhetoric meathod does the author use for the last tow two sentences? Is that right? What is the relation between the last two sentences and " remember"? "
    Which of those three questions is actually your question to the members of this forum? Or did all three questions appear in the graduate entrance test?
    1.I don't care who put questions. As long as they are worthy of discussing, I would answer, it possible. There is no one who forces anybody to answer questions here.
    2.As it was, I had said why I deviided the original lost into some parts.
    3.To be modest, I wrote " I am a student or learner." on the member information. Even if I am a teacher, I could say I am a student which would do no harm to my study.
    4. I wonder why there are so few teachers to answer questions and so many rules to confine learnewrs here.
    Thanks a lot!

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest;8817604.
    I wonder why there are so few teachers to answer questions
    Those who answer questions here do so voluntarily in their free time. There is no obligation on anybody to do so. You might wish that more people would do this, but you might do better just to appreciate the fact that some people do.
    and so many rules to confine learnewrs here.
    The rules that we have are there to ensure that the forum functions as smoothly as possible.

    We ask people to avoid chatlish and slang, and to use appropriate punctuation as far as they can, because this is an English Language forum. The fewer models of incorrect English we have, the better it is for everybody.

    We ask people to post only one question in each thread, because. if they don't. confusion can follow as different people answer different questions in the same thread.

    We suggest that people look up definitions in the dictionary before coming to us, because that is quicker and more efficient. It frees up our time to deal with questions and problems about dictionary definitions.

    We ask people to give honest information about their country of origin, native language and member type, If you expect help from us, it should be no hardship to be honest. That information can influence the way in which we respond most helpfully.

    We often ask a member to try to give their answer before we give an answer. This is because a member's incorrect answer may give us some clue as to how we can best deal with their question.

    We don't knowingly help with homework assignments. The teachers who set those assignments want to know how well their students have understood the work, Help from us would amount to cheating. That is dishonest.

    And so on. There is a sound reason for all the rules we have. Most members abide by them, even if they haven't read them, because they reflect basic patterns of civilised society in a community such as this.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #9

    Re: Interrogative sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Those who answer questions here do so voluntarily in their free time. There is no obligation on anybody to do so. You might wish that more people would do this, but you might do better just to appreciate the fact that some people do.
    The rules that we have are there to ensure that the forum functions as smoothly as possible.

    We ask people to avoid chatlish and slang, and to use appropriate punctuation as far as they can, because this is an English Language forum. The fewer models of incorrect English we have, the better it is for everybody.

    We ask people to post only one question in each thread, because. if they don't. confusion can follow as different people answer different questions in the same thread.

    We suggest that people look up definitions in the dictionary before coming to us, because that is quicker and more efficient. It frees up our time to deal with questions and problems about dictionary definitions.

    We ask people to give honest information about their country of origin, native language and member type, If you expect help from us, it should be no hardship to be honest. That information can influence the way in which we respond most helpfully.

    We often ask a member to try to give their answer before we give an answer. This is because a member's incorrect answer may give us some clue as to how we can best deal with their question.

    We don't knowingly help with homework assignments. The teachers who set those assignments want to know how well their students have understood the work, Help from us would amount to cheating. That is dishonest.

    And so on. There is a sound reason for all the rules we have. Most members abide by them, even if they haven't read them, because they reflect basic patterns of civilised society in a community such as this.

    I see all you said and undersrood it before.
    Let's close the controversy.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] About interrogative sentences
    By for learning in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2009, 20:57
  2. interrogative sentences
    By Roselin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2008, 15:43
  3. interrogative sentences
    By blue_jeans_vb in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 07:07
  4. diagraming interrogative sentences
    By HaliJo in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2008, 10:32
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2007, 08:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •