• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

The definite article

Hello, today I would like to find out about the definite article "the". My grammar book enterprise says that "the" is used before names of rivers etc...So, I went to google typed "The Nemunas" and google found lots of examples, but when I opened not one web site and web sites don't use "the" article. What's the problem? Here is one internet page where I could't find "the" article Nemunas | Travel Lithuania . By the way "The Nemunas" is the biggest river in Lithuania :) Please explain me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The definite article

There are exceptions to every rule. Most lakes don't have "the" but "The Great Salt Lake" does.

Perhpas this is one of the examples of an exception. The Wikipedia article on the river uses "the."

Note: "Please explain this to me," or "Please explain this" or even "Please exlain," but not ''Please explain me."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by JustAlilBit View Post
    Hello, today I would like to find out about the definite article "the". My grammar book enterprise says that "the" is used before names of rivers etc...So, I went to google typed "The Nemunas" and google found lots of examples, but when I opened not one web site and web sites don't use "the" article. What's the problem? Here is one internet page where I could't find "the" article Nemunas | Travel Lithuania . By the way "The Nemunas" is the biggest river in Lithuania :) Please explain me.
    First, I suspect that the piece was written by a native Lithuanian whose language does not include definite nor indefinite articles and therefore the rules that apply (e.g. with names of rivers), although there are uses of the articles throughout, but not for the river. Second, I noticed in the reference you provided that there is an opportunity to provide comments. Perhaps you could submit you query to the author.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

Thanks for correction, but as a native speaker please explain me what should I do? If I use "the" article every time with "rivers etc..." Will it be correct? (I think that the articles are the hardest thing in English language, because lots of people don't use them, but I want to know everything about them and write essays or letters correctly like native English speaker)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Thanks for the correction, but as a native speaker, please explain me what should I do? If I use "the" article every time with "rivers etc..." Will it be correct?
    Yes. In the main standard varieties of English, native speakers use 'the' before the names of rivers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks for correction, but as a native speaker please explain me what should I do? If I use "the" article every time with "rivers etc..." Will it be correct? (I think that the articles are the hardest thing in English language, because lots of people don't use them, but I want to know everything about them and write essays or letters correctly like native English speaker)
    Did you read Barb's earlier post in which she wrote: "
    Note: "Please explain this to me," or "Please explain this" or even "Please exlain," but not ''Please explain me."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • Lithuania

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Did you read Barb's earlier post in which she wrote: "
    YES I DID! I will write it down! :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    First, I suspect that the piece was written by a native Lithuanian whose language does not include definite nor indefinite articles
    It's certainly not a native speaker.