Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Generally, when people have completed a work or task, they say "It is done".

"It is done" is the passive form of "I do it".

I feel that the people have to say "It has been done".Because "It has been done" is

the possive form of "I have done it", I expect poeple to use "It has been done".

Why do people use "It is done" instead of using "It has been done"? Please clarify.

Like "It is done" People use "is + past participle" in many cases to refer completed actions.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, rajpv. :hi:
Generally, when people have completed a [STRIKE]work[/STRIKE] job or task, they say "It is done".

"It is done" is the passive form of "I do it".

I feel that the people have to say "It has been done".Because "It has been done" is

the p[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]ssive form of "I have done it", I expect poeple to use "It has been done".

Why do p[STRIKE]oe[/STRIKE]eople use "It is done" instead of using "It has been done"? Please clarify.

Like "It is done" People use "is + past participle" in many cases to refer completed actions.
We very often have free choice in the tenses we use, depending on how we view the situation. 'It has been done' considers the action retrospectively. 'It is done' presents the task in a completed state.

Last edited:

rajpv

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If "It is done" means the task is in a completed state, then the "done" in "It is done" is considered as an adjective?

Status
Not open for further replies.