• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

English punctuation

Hello,
    Could you advise me a good textbook with all the punctuation rules in English if there is any? Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: English punctuation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Once you've got to grips with it all, if you want some amusement, have a look at "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I just googled "English pronunciation" and was promised 3, 530, 000 results.

I am confident that you will find hundreds of helpful results.

Then whenever you have a question about something, you could ask it here and receive a personal answer.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

P.S. Congratulations on your wanting to learn correct punctuation. I hear that -- because of mobile devices

nowadays -- many English-speaking youths do not know the punctuation rules, just as -- I hear -- some young people in China

are forgetting how to write Chinese characters because of the wide use of mobile devices.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

P.S. Congratulations on your wanting to learn correct punctuation. I hear that -- because of mobile devices

nowadays -- many English-speaking youths do not know the punctuation rules, just as -- I hear -- some young people in China

are forgetting how to write Chinese characters because of the wide use of mobile devices.
    It's not just the use of mobile devices that has caused this problem. Most schools no longer teach spelling, grammar and punctuation as part of their standard curriculum. My aunt used to be a teacher and in the early 1990s the teachers were given an instruction not to mark spelling as incorrect because it was upsetting to the students. They were told to consider that each child used "their own individual interpretation of the spelling of a word".

I just read in a national paper the other day that schools/teachers have been told that they are to mark no more than three spelling mistakes in any piece of students' work because of the chance of demoralising the child.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    My aunt used to be a teacher and in the early 1990s the teachers were given an instruction not to mark spelling as incorrect because it was upsetting to the students. They were told to consider that each child used "their own individual interpretation of the spelling of a word".

I just read in a national paper the other day that schools/teachers have been told that they are to mark no more than three spelling mistakes in any piece of students' work because of the chance of demoralising the child.
    When my then wife told me in 1998 that our marriage was over, I was

a. distressed. (Sorry; that's more information than you want, but it's not totally irrelevant.)
    b. immensely relieved, because it meant that, family responsibilities ended, I could get out of the farce that you are talking about. I returned to the world of TEFL, at literally one eighth of my last salary in teaching in England, happy that I could do what I believe a teacher is meant to do - help enable his/her students to learn and develop.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    ... the teachers were given an instruction not to mark spelling as incorrect because it was upsetting to the students. They were told to consider that each child used "their own individual interpretation of the spelling of a word".

Whaaat? This is merely outrageous. If they make mistakes, they should be aware of them, even if they cry their eyes out. What are teachers supposed to do? I'm afraid their own interpretation doesn't matter when it comes to language (and not only), so there's no such thing as 'individual spelling of a word'. Do they coin every 'unique and individual spelling' of a term in the dictionary every time the prodigy scribbles a new 'word'? They are wrong, they should be upset.

Yes, of course, don't mark their mistakes because they will feel bad. They should, they made more than three mistakes, they should check their awful pieces of work and learn something from them. Otherwise everyone will think he is a genius who doesn't need teachers or books. Just because his work is almost perfect, isn't it? Just a little brushing up and that's all, he can start teaching others. Self-esteem rocketed for no reason.

I am sorry for being too harsh, but this world has gone crazy.

cyril2204, sorry for meddling into your thread, but I couldn't resist.