Scotland
Dear all,

I wish I can get my students' feedback
and their ideas of my style of teaching. Also
what do they think about me? How did
they find the lessons?

"But sometimes I feel like I don't want
to get students feedback!! They may write
points I don't want to hear!" Does it happen to you?

Anyways,
Do you have any surveys or feedback sheets, so that
I can get students' ideas & may need them
to improve my teaching style.

Thanks in advance :)

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

Maybe I am not qualified to answer to your question (since this is the teachers' corner), but I'm a student and I can share my opinion if you are interested in it. I highly recommend that you request feedback from your students. We, as students, talk a lot (yes, we really do that - some of us, at least) about our teachers, and we frequently point out what we like about them and what we do not. Most of the times we agree on what we don't like about them and their way of teaching/testing, but nobody will go straight to the teacher and blurt out his feelings for that class or teacher. They are afraid to tell the things they don't like because they think the teacher will hold a grudge on them if they do so.

That's why you should, in my opinion, create a questionnaire and give it to them at the beginning of the class and collect them after that. All information should be anonymous, otherwise you will end up only with good aspects (it is obvious why). For example, ask them if they consider your class boring and how boring (from 1 to 5) and explain why (most students tend to become bored when provided with large quantities of information). Now, there are students who are bored of everything so don't expect only accurate answers, but I think you'll also get some interesting and constructive feedback. Ask them what they like the most, what they don't like, what can be improved, if they think the classes should consist of more interactive things and less theoretical information or the other way around. There are a plethora of question you can ask.

Just put yourself in their shoes for a bit, you were one of them at one time. They will not say anything by themselves, even when they would like to. A few months ago, a teacher of mine handed us some feedback sheets with interesting questions, most of them having a 1 to 5 scale as an answer and I am sure it will do (and I think it did) good, there's nothing that can go wrong. Also, try to create more clear, concise questions, not questions that require long answers (there should be some, but not the whole survey, because you will find a lot of blank answer boxes or perfunctory answers - just to 'fill in the blanks').

This is my opinion, at least what I can think of at this moment, as a student. If I were a teacher, I would like to hear every opinion (good or bad) from my students because, at the end of the day, my job is to make them understand. Of course I cannot satisfy them all, but at least the few who are interested.

Maybe I will be a teacher in the future, I don't know what's in store for me, but it is worth trying and not only for their benefit, for yours too, because the impression you leave matters when it comes self improvement.

Last edited:

Goal

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Scotland
A very big THANK YOU for you ...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Informal feedback can be a good source of honest opinions- chatting casually to students outside class can be very revealing if conditions are created where they feel they can speak frankly.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Goal welcome to the forum :hi:
Usually in the first session I ask them what they expect me to focus more this term, or what they really enjoy. They talk in groups then I get a feedback from them and also I note down their ideas (I let them know all their ideas are welcomed). I try to do whatever I can to fulfill their desires and needs. Then again through the middle of the term I'll give them feedback regarding their weak points and strength in English and I want them to give me feedback as well. I warn them not just to say some things like "the class has been fabulous,You're so nice, the best teacher we have ever had (actually I like hearing these things, who doesn't?;-)) Then again in groups the talk, they share their ideas and one representative talks on behalf of her/his group mates. Even if I get annoyed with whatever they say (I have to be open to criticism), I try to make some changes to satisfy them.
Hope it works.
Wish you luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.