Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The accident occurred along Woodlands Avenue 3 in front of Block 173 towards Causeway Point at about 6am on Friday.

A taxi had apparently failed to stop after hitting a 26—year—old male pedestrian who was crossing the road along Woodlands Avenue 3.

The taxi was last seen heading towards the direction of Woodlands Avenue 5.

Could I use 'in' to replace 'towards'?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The accident occurred along Woodlands Avenue 3 in front of Block 173 towards Causeway Point at about 6am on Friday.

A taxi had apparently failed to stop after hitting a 26—year—old male pedestrian who was crossing the road along Woodlands Avenue 3.

Thanks.

You could and, in my opinion, you should. You don't need "towards" and "in the direction of" as, here, they effectively mean the same thing.

The taxi was last seen heading towards Woodlands Avenue.
The taxi was last seen heading in the direction of Woodlands Avenue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks.

You could and, in my opinion, you should. You don't need "towards" and "in the direction of" as, here, they effectively mean the same thing.

The taxi was last seen heading towards Woodlands Avenue 5.
The taxi was last seen heading in the direction of Woodlands Avenue 5.

I have a query about the use of "Woodlands Avenue 3" and "Woodlands Avenue 5". Are 3 and 5 the numbers of the houses on that street? If so, we say "3 Woodlands Avenue" and "5 Woodlands Avenue". However, I realise that it would be very odd to see a taxi simply heading between 2 houses which would be very close to each other so I assume that "Woodlands Avenue 3" is a stretch of road.

Pedestrians don't normally cross the road "along" a road. They cross the road outside a building, opposite a school or simply "He was crossing Woodlands Avenue".

Edit: Not sure what happened. Tried to edit previous post but it simply started a new reply and left my last one in place.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have a query about the use of "Woodlands Avenue 3" and "Woodlands Avenue 5". Are 3 and 5 the numbers of the houses on that street? If so, we say "3 Woodlands Avenue" and "5 Woodlands Avenue". However, I realise that it would be very odd to see a taxi simply heading between 2 houses which would be very close to each other so I assume that "Woodlands Avenue 3" is a stretch of road.

Pedestrians don't normally cross the road "along" a road. They cross the road outside a building, opposite a school or simply "He was crossing Woodlands Avenue".

Thanks, Emsr2d2.

Avenues 3 and 5 refer to stretches of road.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks, Emsr2d2.

Avenues 3 and 5 refer to stretches of road.

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I would expect "The pedestrian was crossing Woodlands Avenue 3" and "The taxi was last seen heading towards Woodlands Avenue 5".

Status
Not open for further replies.