• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

; and the most instructive

As far as I know,the use of semicolon is for amplifying or expatiating the previous noun of phrase. But in this case, ";and the most instructive" doesn't seem to describe the previous phrase "a system of knowledge of the past" further. It rather seems like a pause. Is this an exceptional case?
    And also, can you explain the difference between semicolon(;) and dash(-) in terms of expatiation?

is48
    ex)The first and the most interesting branch of general knowledge is history. It gives a view of all events in all ages, and is in itself a system of knowledge of the past; and the most instructive, because it teaches the results of the experience of all previous generations...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: ; and the most instructive

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    As far as I know,the use of semicolon is for amplifying or expatiating the previous noun of phrase.
    I haven't come across that explanation. Where did you find that?

Basically the semi-colon is used to join two sentences that are considered too closely related to be separated by a full stop, and there is no conjunction that would require a comma.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: ; and the most instructive

My grammar book says semi-colon is for expatiation like this.
    1. We finished all day ; we didn't catch a thing.
    And colon is for when the following clause is a cause, reason, explanation, result for the previous clause like this
    1.It is getting dark : the sun has set.
    2.The senator spoke on the subject:"International Trade and the World Market."

So are you saying "and" here should be deleted? I'm surprised to hear that "is a system of knowlege of the past" and "the most instructive" are just closely related. It seems to make sense, but I don't know where the grammar book's explanation comes from, but I seem to have seen expatiation cases for semicolon.
    ex) It gives a view of all events in all ages, and is in itself a system of knowledge of the past; and the most instructive, because it teaches the results of the experience of all previous generations...