How should the word "otherwise" be understood in these two sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Sentence includes "otherwise" is confusing me, and I can't understand the sentence. Please help me!

(A)"The decorations for the games have lent a splash of colour to an otherwise drab city."
Is is right if I understand the "otherwise" in the sentence (A) as "usually" or "generally"?

(B)a blue and gold caravan, slightly travel-stained but otherwise in good condition.
Is it right understanding the "otherwise in good condition" as "except for that, it's in good condition"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sentences include[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ing "otherwise" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are confusing me, and I can't understand the sentences. Please help me!

(A)"The decorations for the games have lent a splash of colour to an otherwise drab city."
Is is right if I understand the "otherwise" in the sentence (A) as "usually" or "generally"?
Not really. The city would be drab if the decorations weren't there.

(B) a blue and gold caravan, slightly travel-stained but otherwise in good condition.
Is it right to understand[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] the "otherwise in good condition" as "except for that, it's in good condition"?
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.