Viniculture spans over 140 years of history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear forumers,

does the following sentence sound natural to you?

"The winery's viniculture spans over 140 years of history and has nurtured true maestros of wine-growing and wine-making."

Thank you.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Only a personal thought, as I know little about how people write about viniculture.

Your sentence doesn't sound quite right to me, but I am not really sure why. Perhaps it's because I think that 'viniculture' is too general a term to be applied to what one winery has done. So, I'd be happy to see 'Viniculture has a long and proud history in France' or 'He studied viniculture in several countries before deciding to plant his fist vineyard in Finland', but not 'the winery's viniculture...'. We can't even really say 'the winery's involvement with viniculture ...' because wineries are hardly likely to be involved in any other kind of ...culture., though we could use the name of the family that has owned the vineyard and say "The Laterrine family's involvement with viniculture spans ...'.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
5jj,

thank you for your input. Basically, I just wanted to know whether the "spans over 140 years of history" part sounds OK.
Would this sentence sound better if we changed it to

"The winery spans over 140 years of history and has nurtured true maestros of wine-growing and wine-making."

?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hope somebody else chips in here, because I have to say that I am not sure. I'd accept 'The history of the winery spans over 140 years', but I am not too happy about your sentence. I would not say it's wrong, though. That's all I can really say, though I'll be popping back to see what others think.

Sorry I couldn't be more useful.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a winner of a sentence to me either. How about something like In its 140-year history, the winery has produced many masters of/in cultivation and wine making?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've mentioned your variants to the client. It turns out they want a sentence infused with some pathos, some elevatedness.

Here is what I've concocted:

With its proud history of over 140 years of dedicated commitment to quality wine-growing and wine-making, the winery has produced many great maestros of the craft.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
With its proud history of over 140 years of dedicated commitment to quality wine-growing and wine-making, the winery has produced many great maestros of the craft.
That sounds much better. I would prefer 'masters' - 'maestros' is too associated with music for it to work here for me, but everything else is fine.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've mentioned your variants to the client. It turns out they want a sentence infused with some pathos, some elevatedness.

Here is what I've concocted:

That's fine. You could use the leisure marketing cliché 'The winery has seen/witnessed over 140 yrs...', but I always find that trope a bit lip-curling! And I agree with 5jj about 'maestros' (which sounds to me a bit musical); but you've got to be careful with 'masters' because there's a qualification - some people are Masters of Wine, and would resent its being implied about people not so qualified; but most of your masters are probably Masters anyway. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.