Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are individuals who are nervous or they simply type too fast but when they type the wrong letter what do you call that kind of misspelling?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are individuals who are nervous or they simply type too fast but when they type the wrong letter what do you call that kind of misspelling?
I call them typos.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For information, "typo" is short for "typographical error".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I use typo for a mistake that results from a lack of keyboard skills rather than ignorance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I use typo for a mistake that results from a lack of keyboard skills rather than ignorance.

So do I. It's very easy to mistype when you're in a hurry or you're nervous about something, resulting in typos. If you don't know how to spell a word and you type the letters that you think are used in the word, then it's a spelling error, not a typo.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When your in a real hurry sometimes you're brain sends a word that sounds like another to you're fingertips and you type what you here in your head insead of the write word even though you new what the write word should be.

That happens sometimes too, when careful writing would always produce the correct word. I consider those typos too, even though it's not quite the same as saying "I lobe you" instead of "I love you."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When your in a real hurry sometimes you're brain sends a word that sounds like another to you're fingertips and you type what you here in your head insead of the write word even though you new what the write word should be.

That happens sometimes too, when careful writing would always produce the correct word. I consider those typos too, even though it's not quite the same as saying "I lobe you" instead of "I love you."
WARNING to unwary learners: Barb deliberately made seven typos in that splendid post.:lol:.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
WARNING to unwary learners: Barb deliberately made seven typos in that splendid post.:lol:.
I will leave identifying them to the readers as an exercise.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found eight.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I respectfully disagree with the premise that the use of homophones falls into the 'typo' category. As Tdol so eloquently stated, "I use typo for a mistake that results from a lack of keyboard skills rather than ignorance." Typing "I lobe you" instead of "I love you" is a definite typo. It is a typo because the letters 'b' and 'v' are directly beside each other on the keyboard and a slip of the finger will easily produce the misspelling. Typing 'write' when the correct word should be 'right' requires a conscious effort on the part of the typist. ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not really. I can type around 80 words per minute. My brain dictates and my fingers type. They just type what they "hear."
In any case, regardless of what you call it, those types of errors don't result from ignorance -- I surely know the difference between know and no, hear and here, etc., but they don't always come out right.

Then there are the errors that result from automatically typing familiar endings. For example, adding a G to a word that ends in IN, or adding a T to something that ends in AN, because -ing and -ant are such common endings that the fingers do it out of muscle memory. I'm not sure what to call that either.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I found eight.
I said that she deliberately made seven. I think that mistake #5 was the genuine sort of accidental tyop at which Brab and I excel.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was liking counting the Fs in a sentence. I found seven once, eight once, and seven once. Which was the accident?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought 'instead' was probably accidental.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh. Yeah, that would have been accidental, indeed. So accidental I didn't see it when I counted them!
:oops:

Alsahafi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
  • When you're in a real hurry...
  • Your brain sends...