What's the meaning of "go back" in this sentence? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyuting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Once you have a child at home, your job better be really good to go back because it is really hard to leave that kid at home.

Does it mean "quit the job?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It means that when you have a child, you don't want to go back to work (after a period of maternity leave, for example). The temptation to simply stay at home with your child, looking after it and watching it grow up, is very great. If you are due to go back to a dull and boring job, then the temptation to stay at home will be almost irresistible. If, however, the job that is waiting for you is "really good", then you are more likely to return to that job instead of staying at home with your child.

The piece assumes that you were working, stopped working temporarily in order to give birth and that you are now due to go back to that job.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Once you have a child at home, your job better be really good to go back because it is really hard to leave that kid at home.
Note that while 'better' is sometimes used this way in informal conversation, the natural construction is 'had better'.

ps (later) Having now read Barb's post, #4, I should add "in British English" to that sentence.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that while 'better' is sometimes used this way in informal conversation, the natural construction is 'had better'.

I think I found out that this was another American difference. I think we had a thread about this. "You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you way" are the lyrics here to Santa Clause is Coming to Town. No "had" or even "you'd" instead of "you." You better watch yourself, mister! This better be good! All common (and not necessarily informal, though the speech here is) in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.