Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

I want to know if we could write or say "He is to be happy?"

In both the cases, whether it is correct or incorrect, please prove your argument by quoting some relevant examples. Also, if it is correct, please throw some light on its meaning.

Thanks.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I want to know if we could write or say "He is to be happy?" Only if you were born in the 17th century or you are currently a poet. If you are referring to the person's future, use "will be" or "going to be".

In both the cases, whether it is correct or incorrect, please prove your argument by quoting some relevant examples. Also, if it is correct, please throw some light on its meaning.

Thanks.

b/

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks a lot for replying to my post.

I would indeed be grateful to you, if you please tell me whether it is ungrammatical to say "He is to be happy" or not. And please give me reasons for that.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would indeed be grateful to you, if you please tell me whether it is ungrammatical to say "He is to be happy" or not. And please give me reasons for that.

Thanks.
It's not grammatical as such - we just wouldn't say it today. Bill has told you what we would say.

There aren't always reasons for the change in the way people express ideas over the centuries.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I want to know if we could write or say "He is to be happy?"

Thanks.
Tashkeel, you can Google "he is to be happy" and you will find the following URL https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS477US477&q=%22he+is+to+be+happy%22 You will find the relevant examples you are seeking.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The problem with this sentence is more the meaning than the grammar. The structure suggests an absolute certainty about something that is hard to predict- we simply cannot be that certain about people's feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.