• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Word " escape"

Hi,
    I create some sentences with the word of "escape", please help me to check and possibly correct. Thanks in advance.

#1. It is a rough evaluation report, there are probably some items which escape me/(escaping me, possible?), please feel free to add them into the report.
    #2. The additional notes in the drawing escape my attention and I should do the corresponding test before shipment.
    ------
    #3. In any case we should make sure our products comply with the spec requirements. At the present we should assume the responsibility than escape for maintaining a long -term relationship with the costumer.
    Last edited by Mark_000; 17-May-2012 at 03:43.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Word " escape"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_000 View Post
    Hi,
    I create some sentences with the word of "escape", please help me to check and possibly correct. Thanks in advance.

#1. It is a rough evaluation report, there are probably some items which escape me/(escaping me, possible?), please feel free to add them into the report.
    #2. The additional notes in the drawing escape my attention and I should do the corresponding test before shipment.
    ------
    #3. In any case we should make sure our products comply with the spec requirements. At the present we should assume the responsibility than escape for maintaining a long -term relationship with the costumer.
    Some suggestions.

#1.
    "It is a rough evaluation report, there are probably some items which have escaped me, (so) please feel free to add them to the report".

#2.
    Without more context the meaning of the second part of the sentence in relation to the first part is unclear.
    However, I would suggest:
    "The additional notes in the drawing escaped my attention and I should do... etc".
    or perhaps:
    "I missed the additional notes in the drawing and I should do... etc".

#3.
    "In any case, we should make sure our products comply with the spec requirements. At the present we should assume the responsibility than escape for maintaining a long-term relationship with the costumer".

The second sentence is incorrect English but I think you are saying that to maintain a good relationship with the customer you should assume the responsibility for checking compliance, not avoid it. I don't think "escape" is quite appropriate here. "At the present" is alright but "At the present time" (or "At this time") is probably more usual.
    Perhaps:
    "At the present time, we should assume responsibility rather than avoid it, to maintain a long-term relationship with the customer".
    or
    "At the present time, to maintain a long-term relationship with the customer, we should assume responsibility rather than avoid it".

not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Word " escape"

Thanks for giving me such a good elaboration and advice.
    Regarding the #2, is it more likely to use the verb of "miss..." rather than "...escape" to express the meaning of "pay no attention or not notice...".