Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In a sitcom, a man said "Go for Barny" when he pick up the phone.

Does this mean "This is Barney?"

Can I say like this when I pick up the phone?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a sitcom, a man said "Go for Barny" when he pick up the phone.

Does this mean "This is Barney?"

Can I say like this when I pick up the phone?
I believe the sitcom you are referring to is "How I Met Your Mother". Barney Stinson is one of the fictional characters in the show; he is a serial womanizer who holds himself in high esteem and will do or say almost anything to get a comedic reaction from the other characters.

Stinson is seeking laughs when he answers his phone by saying "Go for Barney". I, personally, do not see the humor in answering the phone with "Go for Barney" and I wouldn't recommend that you answer your phone in this manner. A simple 'hello' will be understood by all native English speakers; the "Go for Barney" greeting will be met with bewilderment by most of the individuals who are calling you!

If you really feel the need to use your name when you answer the phone, you could say "Hello, this is Barney!" or simply use your last name by saying "Stinson".

layla0302

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you, but could you tell me what does "go for" mean please?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, but could you tell me what does "go for" mean please?
Since I do not watch this sitcom on a regular basis, I can only speculate as to the meaning of "go for". My guess is that because Barney is a serial womanizer, he wants all the females to choose him instead of choosing any other guys on the program. He wants them to 'go for Barney'!

In AmE we often 'go for' (support) our hometown athletic teams when they play teams from other cities. In politics this year we will 'go for' (support) either Obama or Romney! Or, if we don't care for either candidate, we could 'go for' a write-in candidate!

If Barney Stinson was a candidate for an election he would urge his supporters to 'go for Barney'!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think he is simply saying to the person on the other end of the line "go," as in "begin speaking." If you were calling for Barney, then now "go for Barney."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My limited experience of this type of show suggests that some characters use expressions in a hitherto unused sense just for humorous effect. The humour is supposed to come from the fact that the words could imply a meaning the viewers had not heard of. or even sometimes, I suspect, that the words have no real meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.