Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Had a question about this, For a person starting to read (Or a kindergartener/Year 1 student)

What would be a good way to teach them the difference. I thought of it like this.

Read As in, "Have you read the book"? Putting more emphasis on the e and d, so it sounds more like "Red"

And

Read As in, "Can you read the book"? and Putting more emphasis on the e and a.

Is this good? Or is there a more simple/better way to do it?

Cheers

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How are they to know when to do this?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well thats a part of the lesson......The difference needs to be taught at the same time as getting them to know when to pronounce it....

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Isn't there a case for teaching this grammatically as there is no difference in spelling? (I must say that I have never taught children)

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Correct, there is no difference in spelling, but the child must learn when to use the different pronunciations.

numerous children see it as "Can you Read the book" So the child needs to long to put the correct emphasis on the correct letters. There are actually quite a few instances like this in english. And its a pain to teach it to the child.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Read As in, "Have you read the book"? Putting more emphasis on the e and d, so it sounds more like "Red"
And
Read As in, "Can you read the book"? and Putting more emphasis on the e and a.
Unless they know the difference in the meaning/grammar of 'have you read' and 'can you read', they cannot know which letters to look at, can they?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
they can. During Kindergarten and year 1, they do quite abit of work on the pronunciation and what letters to emphasise. Basically, you have to teach one to teach the other. They need to know the grammar regarding the sentence and they need to know the use of the word to know the grammar...If that makes any sense :D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If they know about tenses, then the pronunciation can just be learnt as far as the present perfect is concerned. They simply need to know that "I have read ..." or "Have you read ...?" will always be pronounced as "red".

The problem I always found (with adults and children) was how they could tell the difference between the "I read (pronounced reed) a book" (present) and "I read (pronounced red) a book" (past simple). That is much more difficult.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The problem I always found (with adults and children) was how they could tell the difference between the "I read (pronounced reed) a book" (present) and "I read (pronounced red) a book" (past simple). That is much more difficult.

Yes, Thats what i need a bit of help with. Basically how to teach children to realise the difference....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, Thats what i need a bit of help with. Basically how to teach children to realise the difference....
As ems said, that is more difficult. You'll need to try to get them to be aware of the context:

I don't go out much in the evenings. I stay at home and read.
I led a pretty dull life when I was in Turkey. Most evenings, I just stayed at home and read.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ok, thats a great way :) Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As long as there is something else to go on, then they should be able to work out the overriding tense of the piece or at least the sentence that "read" appears in. 99% of the time, that will probably lead them to the correct pronunciation. I can't imagine a situation where it would happen, but the only time it would be impossible, both for learners and native speakers alike, to work out which pronunciation to use would be if "I/you/he/she/we/they read [+ noun] or [preposition + pronoun] etc" appeared as an absolutely standalone sentence with no surrounding clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.