Would you give me grammar check about"inversion sentences include "not until"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Would you give me grammar check about"inversion sentences include "not until"?

I made transformed some sentences into "not until~" except for number 5. Number 5 was transformed from "Not until~" sentence.
Would you give me grammar check about below sentences?
1.Not until 1865 did when Joseph Lister try the first antiseptic treatment on a compound fracture.
2.Not until the age of 19 couldn't Orrico know the secret of her birth.
3.Not until the age of fourteen could they be found guilty as long as they knew the difference between right and wrong.
4.Not until 2006 when the couple were moving house did they find the bankbook again.
5.Until the bank was clearly given the third degree by Westminister policy didn't go into reverse and a 1.5 point rate cut was ordained.
6.Not until January or February 1996 did significant problems with the accounting system began to manifest themselves.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Would you give me grammar check about"inversion sentences include "not until"?

I made transformed some sentences into "not until~" except for number 5. Number 5 was transformed from "Not until~" sentence.
1.Not until 1865 did when Joseph Lister try the first antiseptic treatment on a compound fracture.
3.Not until the age of fourteen could they be found guilty as long as they knew the difference between right and wrong.
4.Not until 2006 when the couple were moving house did they find the bankbook again.
5.Until the bank was clearly given the third degree by Westminister policy didn't go into reverse and a 1.5 point rate cut was ordained.
6.Not until January or February 1996 did significant problems with the accounting system began to manifest themselves.

"Not until 2006 when the couple were moving house did they find the bankbook again." This is the only one that makes sense.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Re: Would you give me grammar check about"inversion sentences include "not until"?

Thank you bhaisahab. By the way, can I get corrected expressions?
I don't know where I did mistake in the sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Not until 1865 did Joseph Lister try ...

Not until the age of 19 could Orrico ...

I can't correct this one as it makes no sense with "as long as".

I actually think this one is OK with the addition of some commas: Not until 2006, when they were moving house, did they find the bankbook again.

Not until the bank was clearly given the third degree by Westminster did policy go into reverse and a 1.5 rate cut was announced. (This is a very complicated sentence.)

Not until January or February 1996 did significant problems with the accounting system begin to manifest themselves.

See above.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

NOT A TEACHER

I believe that as long as on sentence 3 should be replaced by considering that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I believe that as long as on sentence 3 should be replaced by considering that.
No. That is not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.