Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. "Here, why don't you carry the kitten," Kathy said, handling her pet to Lisa.
2. "Here, why don't you carry the kitten?" Kathy said, handling her pet to Lisa.

Which of the above sentences is correctly punctuated with regard to the word 'kitten'?

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She's not actually asking a question (she's making a suggestion), so the question mark is not really appropriate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. "Here, why don't you carry the kitten," Kathy said, handling her pet to Lisa.
2. "Here, why don't you carry the kitten?" Kathy said, handling her pet to Lisa.

Which of the above sentences is correctly punctuated with regard to the word 'kitten'?

Thanks.

As far as I'm concerned, only #2 is correct. The question mark is required after the word "kitten". However, in BrE, a comma is also required but it goes outside the quotation marks and I would also say that "said Kathy" is more common here than "Kathy said" at that point of the sentence. Note that it's "handing", not "handling".

"Here, why don't you carry the kitten?", said Kathy, handing her pet to Lisa.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thus showing how even native speakers can disagree! ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hadn't seen your response while I was typing mine. As you say, native speakers don't always agree. In this case, even with a suggestion, I would use the question mark.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd go for no comma before 'Kathy'.
"Here, why don't you carry the kitten?" Kathy said, handing her pet to Lisa.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd go for no comma before 'Kathy'.
"Here, why don't you carry the kitten?" Kathy said, handing her pet to Lisa.

I was going to write exactly the same.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I should perhaps point out, Tan Elaine, that there are no absolute rules about the finer points of punctuation. In normal correspondence, we are not too worried about this. If you write for publication, you will find that publishers have their own rules about this. However you punctuate your manuscript, it will be edited to conform to the house style.

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I should perhaps point out, Tan Elaine, that there are no absolute rules about the finer points of punctuation. In normal correspondence, we are not too worried about this. If you write for publication, you will find that publishers have their own rules about this. However you punctuate your manuscript, it will be edited to conform to the house style.

It's funny that you said this because I thought that English grammar has an universal rule that everybody should be adhere to.

(I don't know if the word "adhere" even makes sense in this sentence)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's funny that you said this because I thought that English grammar has an universal rule that everybody should be adhere to.

(I don't know if the word "adhere" even makes sense in this sentence)

If English grammar had universal rules which could always be followed, this forum probably wouldn't exist. There would be one grammar book which all learners would own and they would always be able to find the answer they want in that book.

Punctuation, grammar, spelling etc are all subject to the differences of British English, American English, Canadian English, Australian English, Indian English etc, and even within those countries there are regional differences.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's funny that you said this because I thought that English grammar has a[STRIKE]n [/STRIKE]universal rule
If that were the case, this forum, and many oher, would not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.