• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question "had quit" and "was quitting"

Edward said that he _____ smoking recently but I just didn't believe what he said.
    (A) had quit (B) was quitting

I wonder which option or both are acceptable to your native ears.
    Thanks!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: "had quit" and "was quitting"

Which one do you think is acceptable and why do you think that? You'll learn more if you yourself try to find out first and then have us check or correct your choice.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question Re: "had quit" and "was quitting"

Quote Originally Posted by CarloSsS View Post
    Which one do you think is acceptable and why do you think that? You'll learn more if you yourself try to find out first and then have us check or correct your choice.
    Hi, thanks for reply.
    i know there is situation that "recently" is used with past tense, not only perfect tense. In the sentence, "had quit" is totally reasonable, right? It's a perfect tense. However, it may be also reasonable to use "was quitting" in this context. It shows the continuing process of quitting smoking. Is the reason acceptable?

I am sorry to put my question in this way without a short essay after it. Normally, I did say a lot when I asked. It's just because it's very late in my country now, and I need to get up early tomorrow and the question is urgent. Tomorrow morning, I will have to discuss the exam paper with my students and this affects their exam grades. If any native speaker can give me what you think, I'll be very appreciated.

English is a foreign language in our country. We follow the native speakers' norm. We can also indigenize English just like Singapore and India, but it's not our official language. We can't do that. Therefore, we need to follow native speakers' norm. If any native speaker can give me your opinion, it will be very educational to my students and my country's English education.

Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by simile View Post
    Edward said that he _____ smoking recently but I just didn't believe what he said.
    (A) had quit (B) was quitting
    'Was quitting' is possible if you interpret it as roughly equivalent to either 'was going to quit' or 'am in the process of quitting'.

So, if you are correcting an exam, I feel that 'was quitting' cannot be considered wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    'Was quitting' is possible if you interpret it as roughly equivalent to either 'was going to quit' or 'am in the process of quitting'.

So, if you are correcting an exam, I feel that 'was quitting' cannot be considered wrong.
    The reply is on the nick of time! Really thank you, 5jj. It's 7 am and I'm leaving home with the answer to my students!