Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to know the origin, please.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would like to know the origin, please.

If you google it you will find various explanations but the fact is nobody seems to know for certain.

AlVal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
Having used barges in canals, I can advise that the sides of locks and banks etc. which someone navigating a canal would often need to press their barge-pole against can be very slimy and filthy, and definitely not nice to touch with your hands. To suggest you wouldn't even want your barge-pole to touch it (an item which routinely touches this filth) suggests it must be something extra-nasty indeed

dickybird

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Having used barges in canals, I can advise that the sides of locks and banks etc. which someone navigating a canal would often need to press their barge-pole against can be very slimy and filthy, and definitely not nice to touch with your hands. To suggest you wouldn't even want your barge-pole to touch it (an item which routinely touches this filth) suggests it must be something extra-nasty indeed

Thank you, AlVal. I felt certain it came from canal barges, but I've never been on one. Your experience has filled in the gap and I'm sure this is it as it fits perfectly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

That's an interesting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.