[Grammar] Would you explain me why these five sentences are not grammatical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
1.In the Middle Ages, there had been a few episode when popular imagination caused people to seek out someone who caused a flood.
2.The origin of the horse go back to eohippus, the "dawn-horse" of the Eocene, only 10 to 20 inches tall.
3.There are several kind of acids that pearls may come in contact with.
4.Dr. Rita Colwel is a microbiologist who wears several different hat.
5.In the early years of the twentieth century several man who had amassed vast fortunes likewise became great philanthropists.

I saw these wrong sentences from the book. But I don't know why these are not grammatical and there are no explanation in my book. Please give me some explanation about these.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.In the Middle Ages, there had been a few episode(=>episodes) when popular imagination caused people to seek out someone who caused a flood.
=> "a few" goes with plural nouns as it's countable
2.The origin of the horse go(=)goes) back to eohippus, the "dawn-horse" of the Eocene, only 10 to 20 inches tall.
=>It should be "goes" as "origin" is an abstract noun that is inherently treated as singular
3.There are several kind(=>kinds) of acids that pearls may come in contact with.
=> "there are" goes with plural nouns
4.Dr. Rita Colwel is a microbiologist who wears several different hat.(hats)
=> "several" implies plural nouns
5.In the early years of the twentieth century several man(=>men) who had amassed vast fortunes likewise became great philanthropists.
=> same as 3

Not a teacher, but as a fellow Korean.

Status
Not open for further replies.