Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
hi, there!
could you answer if it would be appripriate to use "good afternoon!" to a member of my family, to collegue; if it's used in formal or informal situations or both?
Do englishmen use "hello, everybody!" in formal or informal situations or both.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

Good afternoon is more formal than hi or hello. In formal situations you won't say hello everybody.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
While I use '(good) morning' and '(good) evening' when I meet someone in formal or semi-formal situations, I rarely, if ever, use '(good) afternoon'. I use none of them to a members of my family. The only time I can imagine using 'good afternoon' would be if I were giving a formal talk that happened to begin in the afternoon.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know that "hello" is less formal than "good evening/morning/afternoon", but what I'd like to ask is, can I use it in formal or semi-formal situations? When I see a person for the first time. For example, somebody stole my car, so I go to report it to the police. Can I say "hello" to the officer (whom I've never seen before) who is going to take down my statement? Could they get offended I if did say "hello" instead of "good evening/morning/afternoon"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We (speakers of BrE) don't worry too much about this. I'd be more concerned if a police officer expected to be addressed in a special way.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean addressing him by his rank (constable etc.)? I'd most likely call him "officer". Is that OK? It should be at least in AmE because that's what I heard other people using when talking to a policeman (in California).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In many cultures, it seems to be necessary to use some form of title for the person addressed. This is not the case in British English. If I wish to draw the attention of a police officer, I may call 'Officer' to attract his/her attention, but if I am drawn into conversation with a police officer, I use no such term.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.