Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
I've written below some Arabic idioms. I translated them to English literally, but I hope you can edit the translations so that they sound better or natural.

- If a person always uses polite, nice, and respectful words when he speaks, people say about him "His tongue is like honey" or "His tongue trickles honey."
- On the other hand, if a person always uses bad, impolite words, people say about him "His tongue is dirty" or "His tongue is nasty."

Any help will greatly appreciated

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
- If a person always uses polite, nice, and respectful words when he speaks, people say about him "His tongue is like honey" or "His tongue trickles honey."
In English the corresponding term is "honey-tongued". But more common is "silver-tongued", meaning eloquent and persuasive with words. It often refers to someone who uses their charm to take advantage of people, so "silver-tongued devil" is a common phrase. Although, even then it's often said in admiration.
Also: "smooth talker", "sweet talker".

- On the other hand, if a person always uses bad, impolite words, people say about him "His tongue is dirty" or "His tongue is nasty."
For bad language:
He's got a… "dirty mouth", "potty mouth" and "she's a real potty-mouth".
For nasty, critical, hurtful:
"an acid tongue" (She has an acid tongue. He's so acid-tongued)
"a sharp tongue"
"a poison(ous) tongue" (particularly for someone who spreads gossip)
"a barbed tongue"

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.