Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've known since my childhood that teachers 'put marks'. However, I'm surprised to find out that teachers 'give marks'. Does that mean that 'to put a mark' is completely wrong and can't be used?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've known since my childhood that teachers 'put marks'. However, I'm surprised to find out that teachers 'give marks'. Does that mean that 'to put a mark' is completely wrong and can't be used?

"How many marks did the teacher give you for your essay" This is correct, it wouldn't work with "put".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, ypuchkova. :hi:

You have made a good beginning - it takes some people a long time before they realise that they need to give their threads useful titles, and that punctuation and capitalisation are important.

:up:

Last edited:

ypuchkova

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
THANKS A LOT!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm sure that's true of BrE; here, we would give 'a' mark; and we would ask 'how many points' did the teacher give; as for 'put,' we may use that at times, but only mechanically, e.g. put the mark at the top of the paper, put the mark into the system, etc.

"How many marks did the teacher give you for your essay" This is correct, it wouldn't work with "put".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
THANKS A LOT!

ypuchkova, your thanks are appreciated, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.​

Rover:-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.