Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Spain
A Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA find Osama Bin Laden has been jailed for at least 30 years, officials say.
Shakil Afridi was charged with treason and tried under the tribal justice system for running a fake vaccination programme to gather information.

Shortly after the raid on Bin Laden's house, Dr Afridi was arrested for conspiring against the state of Pakistan.
Pakistan has insisted that any country would have done the same if it found one of its citizens working for a foreign spy agency.

Dr Afridi has been found guilty in Khyber district, and has also been fined $3,500. If he does not pay the fine his prison sentence will be extended by a further three years.
Under the tribal justice system, the administrative head of a tribal district performs the function of a judge.

The following sentence of the above is not correct. I am not sure.
Pakistan has insisted that any country would have done the same if it found one of its citizens working for a foreign spy agency.

It should be the following:
Pakistan insisted that any country would have done the same if it found one of its citizens working for a foreign spy agency.

'Pakistan has insisted' means an ongoing affair.
The words 'would have done' means some action they did in the past. I am not sure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Pakistan has insisted' means an ongoing affair.
No it doesn't. It is something that happened in the recent past that still has relevance to the present. The past simple would be possible, but is not essential.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
The use of present perfect and simple past always trips me. Frequently I have to think twice (or 10 times) before choosing the tense, doesn't matter how many times I read the rules.
I believe when I immerse in the culture, living in an English language country, it will become natural.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.