Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you think is the meaning of "just so" here? "merely so" or "exactly so"?

is50
ex)Since a reinforcer must serve to strengthen the desired response, it is imperative that the counselor select a reinforcer that will have precisely this effect on the subject. For instance, the counseleor wants John and Ellen to do certain tasks. To encourage each one, John is offered a ticket to a football game and Ellen is offered a ticket to the ballet as a reward for performing the tasks. This may be good if John likes football and if Ellen likes ballet, but it just so happens that John is an enthusiastic ballet aficionado and Ellen is a passionate football fan.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
What do you think is the meaning of "just so" here? "merely so" or "exactly so"?

Since a reinforcer must serve to strengthen the desired response, it is imperative that the counselor select a reinforcer that will have precisely this effect on the subject. For instance, the counseleor wants John and Ellen to do certain tasks. To encourage each one, John is offered a ticket to a football game and Ellen is offered a ticket to the ballet as a reward for performing the tasks. This may be good if John likes football and if Ellen likes ballet, but it just so happens that John is an enthusiastic ballet aficionado and Ellen is a passionate football fan.

I think the whole phrase "but it just so happens that" needs to be considered.
… "but it so happens" means "but the fact of the matter is", "but the reality is", and so the point would still be clear without the "just".
I feel "it just so happens that" subtly emphasizes the convenient pertinence of the fact to the point being made.
This sense of "convenient, fortunate" is very common for this phrase.
"She had lost her purse, but it just so happens that I had enough change in my pocket for the parking meter".
"It just so happens that I was walking past the house when I saw the flames, so I called the brigade".

not a teacher

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I feel "the pertinence" of "just so" doesn't have to be positive or negative to the prior statement. They were both offered the opposite tickets, so "just so" is contradicting the previous sentence, but it's anyway quite relevant.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I feel "the pertinence" of "just so" doesn't have to be positive or negative to the prior statement.
JMurray didn't say that it had to be anything. S/he said, "This sense of "convenient, fortunate" is very common for this phrase"

They were both offered the opposite tickets, so "just so" is contradicting the previous sentence, but it's anyway quite relevant.
It's not contradicting. It's the 'but' that introduces some form of contrasting idea.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"... emphasizes the convenient pertinence of the fact to the point being made".
(apologies for quoting myself)

I meant the pertinence of the fact that John likes ballet and Ellen likes football, to making the point about the counselor needing to select a reinforcer that will have the desired effect. That is, the counselor shouldn't assume too much when choosing a reinforcer.

not a teacher​

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the whole phrase "but it just so happens that" needs to be considered.
… "but it so happens" means "but the fact of the matter is", "but the reality is", and so the point would still be clear without the "just".
:up: Quite. When I hear it I feel that the speaker is asking me to share a 'wry' reference that s/he is alone in regarding as significant! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.