• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Image for a route

Hello,

could you help me understand what the "new image for a ... route" means in the following letter:

Thank you for your letter of …… concerning the creation of a new image for the Unan route. We would like to congratulate your company on the inauguration of this new route. We are very much interested in helping to create a new image for it.

As far as I understand, this rout is a tourist attraction. But what does creating of a new image for it include?
    Thanks in advance.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Image for a route

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    Hello,

could you help me understand what the "new image for a ... route" means in the following letter:

Thank you for your letter of …… concerning the creation of a new image for the Unan route. We would like to congratulate your company on the inauguration of this new route. We are very much interested in helping to create a new image for it.

As far as I understand, this rout is a tourist attraction. But what does creating of a new image for it include?
    Thanks in advance.)
    Have a look here: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/image_1

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you for your link, Bhaisahab, I'm more or less aware what an image is, but I can't make it out how one can create an image or a NEW image. Supposing a company has created an image for another company (I still can't understand how they do it). Now they need a NEW image. What do they do to change it?

P.S. I realize my questions might seem rather "unprofessional" and we 're discussing language here, not business techniques, but in this case language and business are kind of "interrelated" (without understanding business methods I fail to understand the meaning of the letter).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

A company may have an image, meaning how others perceive it. This image may be good or bad, depending on the people and the times. A company with a bad image may want to try to market a "new image."

The new image can come from the products they sell, from the markets they target, the way they run advertising campaigns. They can even change the name of the company.

When Oldsmobile still existed, they had an image of reliable upmarket cars for old people. They tried to change their image with new advertising and new, sportier models. They used the line in their marketing "this is not your father's Oldsmobile."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/bu...s-company.html

Right now Kraft foods is spinning off its snack food business into a separate company and will be marketing it under the new name "Mondelez."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    Thank you for your link, Bhaisahab, I'm more or less aware what an image is, but I can't make it out how one can create an image or a NEW image. Supposing a company has created an image for another company (I still can't understand how they do it). Now they need a NEW image. What do they do to change it?

P.S. I realize my questions might seem rather "unprofessional" and we 're discussing language here, not business techniques, but in this case language and business are kind of "interrelated" (without understanding business methods I fail to understand the meaning of the letter).
    One of my daughters is a graphic designer, a lot of her work is creating new images for companies, tourist organisations etc. I have some understanding of what she does, but it's not really a language question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's a language question if anyone is having trouble understanding the difference between an image (a photograph) and an image (public perception). I assumed that was the original problem here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you for your patience) I got it.)