Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
Hello teachers,

Let me write a situation first. Let's say I want my brother to do a certain task for me on the same day that I have asked him to do it. I can tell him: "You must do it today". Now I want to emphasize that he must do it just on the same day. In Nepali (my native language), we have intensifier words that can be used in such situations but I have not found similar words in English so far. Most of the Indians may put the statement like "You must do it today itself" for such an emphasis. I learnt, however, that native English speakers don't use such expressions. In these situations, I have used statements like "You must do it today; not a single day late". Nevertheless, my question still remains whether it is possible to use some short words or phrases in such situations for emphasizing the day.

I will appreciate all responses. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't say we have specific intensifiers for this sort of thing. If I wanted someone to really grasp the fact that it was important that a task be done today and no other day, I would probably just make the word "today" a little louder than the rest of the sentence or perhaps break it into 2 very distinct and separate syllables. I might point my finger at the person or use some other pointed hand gesture as I say the word "today".

If I wanted to use extra words I might say "I want it done today. Not tomorrow. Not the next day. Today. Got it?" or something similar.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

"You absolutely, positively must do it this very day!"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ka-PEESH

As I understand, it came into American English, slightly modified from the Italian, through Italian-American gangsters. With just one word, the idea can be conveyed that one should very well understand what is being asked and that one should comply. Or else very important people will be very dissatisfied, which could lead to peril.

It's not commonly used, and I imagine it is mostly used in jest today. But I do think many Americans would understand the word.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello, Tzfujimino,

May I most respectfully suggest that you avoid saying "Capiche" to another person?

S/he might not know that you are kidding (jesting).

Some people might interpret it as insulting, threatening, or patronizing.

Nowadays in the United States, we have to be very careful in how we speak to people. We must be careful not to hurt

anyone's feelings by using any insensitive language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it actually spelt "capiche" now in AmE? I think the original is "Capisce" (Italian) and I had assumed, until now, that it was still written the same way.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not that Google is the final authority, but it does not suggest that I meant some other spelling when I search for the word.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello, Tzfujimino,

May I most respectfully suggest that you avoid saying "Capiche" to another person?

S/he might not know that you are kidding (jesting).

Some people might interpret it as insulting, threatening, or patronizing.

Nowadays in the United States, we have to be very careful in how we speak to people. We must be careful not to hurt

anyone's feelings by using any insensitive language.

I agree that you wouldn't want to use it with random strangers or persons in a business or formal setting. But with a brother, it seems perfect.

Arbartaula

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
Capiche sounds cool. But I am most satisfied with TheParser's answer. Thank you friend. Of course, my thanks goes to everyone else who responded.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we forgot to welcome you to Using English.

:hi:

I agree that you emphasize the obligation ("must" becomes "absolutely must"), not the action (Monday, and no day other than Monday!) for the most concise emphatic statement. Depending the level of formality, you can write it many different ways.

I'm reminded of the scene with the Holy Hand Grenade in Monty Python's movie. I'm sure you can find it on YouTube. See how it emphasizes 3, and only 3, not 2, and not 4 (and 5 is "right out").

Status
Not open for further replies.