Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "recognition" mean "simple perception of something as existing or true" or "acknowledgement of something as valid or as entitled to consideratation"? Considering the context, the former seems to be the one, but I'm not sure.

is63
ex)...There are three levels of loyalty : recognition, preference, and insistence. Brand recognition is the level of loyalty at which customers are aware that the brand exists and will purchase it if their preferred brands are unavailable. This is the weakest form of brand loyalty....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. Brand recognition is the level of loyalty at which customers are aware that the brand exists and will purchase it if their preferred brands are unavailable. .
It means what the words say. Don't try to fit every word you encounter into dictionary definitions. Dictionaries are there to help us, not confine us.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Brand recognition is simply whether people are familiar with it or not. If I say "Ford" you should think "they make cars."

I prefer Pepsi, but will drink a Coke versus some small brand I am not familiar with. So i would have a preference for Pepsi, but recognition of Coke.

Now, I will only buy Heinz ketchup. I know other companies make ketchup, but I insist on Heinz.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And loyalty needn't come into it. Before s/he can talk, still less read or write - let alone make a paying consumer's decision - a toddler will recognize the Macdonalds golden arches (and demand to eat there).

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And loyalty needn't come into it. Before s/he can talk, still less read or write - let alone make a paying consumer's decision - a toddler will recognize the Macdonalds golden arches (and demand to eat there).

b

That is one of the saddest indictments of 20th/21st century living that I can imagine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

When my niece was a toddler, she would see the Golden Arches and say "e-i-e-i-o."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My kids called it "Mick and Donald's." (They didn't eat there much.)

Status
Not open for further replies.