All the children are (each) entitled to the government incentive ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Each child is entitled to the government incentive of a government top-up into the Child Development Account.

The answer provided in transforming the above sentence is as follows:

All the children are entitled to the government incentive of a government top-up in the Child Development Account.

I think the 'each' is missing in the answer provided and wonder whether I am correct. Hence my answer is as follows:

All the children are each entitled to the government incentive of a government top-up into the Child Development Account.

I think my version with the 'each' makes it clearer that every child is entitled to one government top-up in the Child Development scheme.

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it possible that all of the children, collectively, are entitled to only one "top-up"?

If I said "All the children are entitled to a free lunch" is there only one lunch provided and all the children must share it?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is it possible that all of the children, collectively, are entitled to only one "top-up"?

If I said "All the children are entitled to a free lunch" is there only one lunch provided and all the children must share it?
Thanks, Soothing Dave.

Based on what I know of our local usage, each individual child is entitled to the government incentive of a government top-up. According to my interpretation, would my suggested answer posted earlier be the correct version?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The great thing about "Each child is entitled to ..." is that it removes the ambiguity which ensues from starting the sentence with "All the children are ..."

For me, your suggested answer is unnatural and unnecessarily wordy. I find the combination of "All the children" and "each" is just too much.

I would use either:

All the children are entitled to an individual government incentive ...
or
Each child is entitled to a government incentive ...

The second one would be my preference.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Soothing Dave.

Based on what I know of our local usage, each individual child is entitled to the government incentive of a government top-up. According to my interpretation, would my suggested answer posted earlier be the correct version?

I find it just fine without adding an "each." The reader should already understand that each child gets the "top-up," like they would know that each child gets his own lunch.

If there is a problem with ambiguity, then don't re-write it from the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.