Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is discussing the difference between the attitude of inherent value and the one of performance. Does "leap toward" mean "you can prepare a future leap for when you fail"? I can't get the meaning. "toward" is hard to understand as it seems to be related to "when" or independent.

ju-mo-49
ex)Those who judge their value based on their performance are doomed to have highs and lows in their self-esteem based on thei most recent outcomes... People who have a more inherent sense of value respond very differently...They are more inclined to evaluate what they've done, consider what they might need to change, and then try again...
Can you imagine thinking he or she is worthless just because they've made a mistake, failed at something, or are going through a hard time? Of course not! And it's from this perspective that you need to make your recovery, so that you can take another leap toward when you have failed at what you wanted to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is discussing the difference between the attitude of inherent value and the one of performance. Does "leap toward" mean "you can prepare a future leap for when you fail"? I can't get the meaning. "toward" is hard to understand as it seems to be related to "when" or independent.

ju-mo-49
ex)Those who judge their value based on their performance are doomed to have highs and lows in their self-esteem based on thei most recent outcomes... People who have a more inherent sense of value respond very differently...They are more inclined to evaluate what they've done, consider what they might need to change, and then try again...
Can you imagine thinking he or she is worthless just because they've made a mistake, failed at something, or are going through a hard time? Of course not! And it's from this perspective that you need to make your recovery, so that you can take another leap toward when you have failed at what you wanted to do.

At a quick glance, I'm inclined to think it's a typo and it should say "another leap forward".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
So it's never related to the next clause of "when..",right? I couldn't relate the two. Yes, as you said, it must be a typo!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I said, that was at first glance. I've read the sentence again a couple of times and I can't make it make sense with "toward" in that context.

That doesn't mean that "... a leap toward(s) when you ..." would always be wrong, it just doesn't make sense here.

Status
Not open for further replies.