Please could you tell me one sentence for students who have done very well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
I would like you to tell me a couple of sentences or just one, short ones please, for the students who have done very well on their homework. They really do a big effort to accomplish it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,
I would like you to tell me a couple of sentences or just one, short ones please, for the students who have done very well on their homework. They really do a big effort to accomplish it.

Thanks in advance.

As an English teacher I would think that you could provide a few possibilities that we could review and comment upon.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have _______ _____ ______ ______. I appreciate your _______.

(I couldn't resist.)
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A reminder: we don't "do" an effort, do we? ;-)

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
As an English teacher I would think that you could provide a few possibilities that we could review and comment upon.

The ones I have are:

a) Excellent!
b) Great work!
c) Well done!

Are there better ones?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
A reminder: we don't "do" an effort, do we? ;-)

Hi,
No, we don't. Make an effort is the right one. 'Make' and 'do' always drive crazy.
:oops:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Learning:

1. All the other posters have given you great suggestions.

2. I wanted to gently suggest that there could be a negative aspect to writing words of praise on their homework.

That is, humans being what they are, they always want more. For example, if you regularly write "Good work!" on

their lessons, the words "Good work!" will lose their power and the students will no longer pay attention to them. On the

other hand, if you stop writing "Good work!" they may feel hurt that you do not think their work continues to be "good."

Everyone likes praise, of course. So I think that you might consider what some teachers do:

1. Refrain from writing individual comments on lessons. (This will prevent students from comparing comments, which might lead to hurt feelings.)

2. Orally thank the class on a regular basis for their conscientious work. Read aloud a good answer from every single student in the class (so that nobody feels left out). Don't mention names, however.

3. Occasionally, give the class a treat (donuts, candy, etc.). Again tell them how touched you are that they are such

good students.

4. Maybe you could even arrange a field trip (to a museum, to a movie, etc.) to show your appreciation.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi TheParser,
Thank you so much for your reply and teaching human strategies.
Unfortunately, I'm not teaching kids anymore, I used to, but that period is over, thought I've got great, great times with them. I'm only teaching adults, beginners and intermediate levels.

Best,
Learning

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't see why you can't apply all of The Parser's comments to adults. If anything, adult learners need even more encouragement and praise! Admittedly, donuts and candy might be a bit childish (although I'd be more than happy if my teacher turned up to a class with chocolate!)

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't see why you can't apply all of The Parser's comments to adults. If anything, adult learners need even more encouragement and praise! Admittedly, donuts and candy might be a bit childish (although I'd be more than happy if my teacher turned up to a class with chocolate!)

Hi,
I've never said that I can't apply The Parser's comments, in fact I have thanked The Parser for his or her teaching human strategies. The only thing I thought I coudn't do was to bring donuts and candy. But on a second thought, and because of your commentary, I can bring to class some chocolatate. Everybody likes them!:-D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:
You have done agoodjob.
I appreciate your effort.