'flag-waving, cigarette-lighter-burning'

The following is from a book written about Stevie Wonder's classic albums.
    And this is a part about a song called 'You and I'.

Maybe it's a big chorus that some people miss. But quite honestly, the presence of a flag-wavingcigarette-lighter-burning refrain would make the whole thing too obvious and unsubtle, quelling the constantly shifting sands of harmony.

A dictionary says the word 'flag-waving' means 'expression of strong national feelings, especially when these feelings seem too extreme', but I guess this doesn't apply, because this is just a love song and not related to national feelings. Then what does it mean? Just describing a flag which is waving? And what about cigarette-lighter-burning? Please tell me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: 'flag-waving, cigarette-lighter-burning'

Picture a concert, any concernt with a popular musical figure. The crowd is full of adoring fans, many of whom will be holding signs, waving banners & flags (with "I love you Stevie!!" written on it for example). Flag waving of any kind is a signs of 'adoration' or almost 'worship' of the person or thing involved.

The 'cigarette lighter burning' is a common occurance when adoring fans hold lit lighters above their heads often to show a togetherness, unity or bond with each other, normally during a particular song that is highly emotionally charged. Can be seen at anything from a Guns 'n' Roses concert to a Stevie Wonder concert!

Hope that help a little!

Great help!!! Thank you, hobbes!

'flag-waving...thats what I do in a Backstreet Boys concert!
    'cigarette-lighter-burning'...in Japan, we only hold glow sticks in a concert and not lighters, so I didnt know that.

Thank you again!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Mobile phones are a modern alternative to the lighters. I was at a concert in Tokyo last night and I didn't see any cigarette lighters.

Thank you, tdol! I hope you enjoyed the concert

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I did.