Could you proofread this short paragraph please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could you correct this short paragraph? My problem is with this sentence, 'Really early for him'. I would like to use the word 'early' somewhere in the paragraph. I just don't know if I did it right.
Addional information: Robert is a very lazy person that too often arrives late at work. One day he did it at 10:30 and his boss was very angry with him and told him that it was the last time or he will be fired. By the way, He starts working at 9.00.

I wonder which option is better? Is there a better one? The paragraph is for beginner students.

Option:B
After the discussion with Mr.Landon, Robert has got lots of time for breakfast because he is up at 6:50. Now it’s only half past seven in the morning, really early for him, and he is having a large breakfast in the kitchen.

Option:B
After
the discussion with Mr. Landon, Robert has got lots of time for breakfast because he is up at 6:50. Now it’s only half past seven in the morning and he is having a large breakfast in the kitchen, really early for him.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not a teacher, however, since no teacher has responded as yet (and they are unlikely to do so in the future), I'll have a crack at it. Let me know if my corrections fit your needs.

After
the discussion with Mr. Landon, Robert has got lots of time for breakfast because he [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has been up [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] since 6:50. Now it’s only half past seven in the morning and he is having a large breakfast in the kitchen. Having breakfast so early in the morning is very unusual for him.

Thanks in advance.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'm not a teacher, however, since no teacher has responded as yet (and they are unlikely to do so in the future), I'll have a crack at it. Let me know if my corrections fit your needs.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your interest. Let me tell you about my paragraph. It can only be in 'present' due to the students haven't done the present perfect or past yet. As I said in my original post, my problem is with this sentence, 'Really early for him'. Do both positions fit it?

L

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This sentence "Robert has got lots of time for breakfast because he is up at 6:50" looks really unnatural with the past simple and I doubt any native would utter such a thing. In my view, even though your students do not know about present perfect or past simple, they should not be thought things that are incorrect. Nevertheless, you are the teacher so do as you see fit.

As for the "really early for him part", I would modify it as follows:

Now it’s only half past seven in the morning, which is really early for him, and he is having a large breakfast in the kitchen.

The second option with the clause at the end seems unnatural to me.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This sentence "Robert has got lots of time for breakfast because he is up at 6:50" looks really unnatural with the past simple and I doubt any native would utter such a thing. In my view, even though your students do not know about present perfect or past simple, they should not be thought things that are incorrect. Nevertheless, you are the teacher so do as you see fit.

As for the "really early for him part", I would modify it as follows:

Now it’s only half past seven in the morning, which is really early for him, and he is having a large breakfast in the kitchen.

The second option with the clause at the end seems unnatural to me.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.