Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Are all definitions correct?
a) A wannabe person is someone who likes to pretend that he/she is somebody else.
b) A wannabe person is someone who likes to show-off.
c) A wannabe person is someone who is trying to copy somebody else, usually famous.

Can I write it both ways with no difference in meaning? 'Wannabe' and 'wannabee'.

Thanks in advance.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
None of your definitions really catches the essence of a wannabe - they want to be someone or something.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I understand they want to be someone. But I just don't understand they want to be something.
Could you provide me an example please?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Learning:

Here in the United States, there is a lot of crime in the big cities, so there are many jobs for security guards in stores

and there are also security guards who drive around in cars to protect people who live in better neighborhoods.

We often refer them as "wannabe" police officers. That is, some of them would like to be police officers, but maybe

they cannot get hired because of their age, lack of education, height, etc. So they become security guards (who

usually earn very little money) or work for security firms that guard better neighborhoods. They get to wear uniforms

and ride in patrol cars. They get to look and act like police officers, but they are not. They are wannabees. Of course,

never tell them that to their face. They will become very angry or insulted or hurt.

I guess that you could say that I am a wannabee teacher! But don't tell me that: it will hurt my feelings.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am in charge of the marketing publications at my company. I will send drafts of materials in progress to the subject matter experts. I want them to check for factual mistakes. Sometimes, they come back with suggestions about how the material should be arranged. Apparently they are wanna-be graphic designers. Sometimes they suggest wording changes that are utterly unrelated to meaning. They are also wanna-be writers.

This is usually a dismissive term.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi TheParser,
Thank you so much for your accurate explanation. It's very clear now. Just one thing, You may no be an English teacher, but a teacher, I'm pretty sure you are. Years and the capacity to learn make you ONE, undoubtedly!!
Having said that, further discussions about this point will be dismiss.

Learner;-)

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This is usually a dismissive term.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your accurate explanation and examples too.
It is also very clear.

Learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.