Retired English Teacher
Please take a look at the following pairs of sentences. Are sentences A's and B's interchangeable? Thank you so much.
I. Example sentences where the subjects are removable:
1. A. The classroom has 25 students.
B. There are 25 students in the classroom.
2. A. The classroom has 25 desks.
B. There are 25 desks in the classroom.
3. A. The cinema has not many people on Sunday mornings.
B. There are not many people in the cinema on Sunday mornings.
II. Example sentences where the subjects are fixed.
1. A. The room has 5 windows.
B. There are 5 windows in the room.
2. A. The room has a balcony facing the ocean.
B. Outside the room there is a balcony facing the ocean.
3. A. My apartment has a big kitchen.
B. There is a big kitchen in my apartment.