Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I'd like to know if a sweater can be for winter as well as for summer. How can I specify the difference?
Thanks a lot
Rip

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sweaters are usually associated with winter, cause that's when it's cold.

In the summer, one might have a light jacket or sweater for use on chilly nights, if you're going to be outside for a prolonged period. Or if expecting rain.

I live in a moderate climate, yet almost never need a jacket in the summer.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My sister lived in South Carolina (a rather warm state) when I lived in Maine (a rather cold state). Until she visited me one August, she said she had no idea what a "summer sweater" was for!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
My sister lived in South Carolina (a rather warm state) when I lived in Maine (a rather cold state). Until she visited me one August, she said she had no idea what a "summer sweater" was for!

Are 'summer sweaters' usually made of cotton? I think I've heard them referred to as 'lightweight sweaters.'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probably cotton, or maybe a blend, but yes, a light sweater that you toss on in the evening, once the sun goes down and your shoulders get chilly. In Maine, you could have the AC on in the car during the day, and then want the heater on during the night, on the same summer day.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I googled 'summer sweater' and clicked on 'images', all the pictures were of women wearing a variety of tops, most of which I (a male speaker of BrE) would call 'light sweaters'. What is the equivalent for American males? For me it would be a (light) pullover'.

Status
Not open for further replies.