Does "there was him" make sense? If it does, what possible instance can this be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenji

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Does "there was him" make sense? If it does, what possible instance can this be used?

"There was he" is pretty clear...but I am not quite sure if there are instances where "there was him" can possibly be used.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Does "there was him" make sense? If it does, what possible instance can this be u

I can't think of natural contexts for either at the moment.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Does "there was him" make sense? If it does, what possible instance can this be u

A: I always seem to date such short guys!
B: Really?
A: Yeah, there was Pete, who was like 5'5". There was Jon, who was maybe 5'8". There was Greg, who was no more than 5'6"
B: But there was Allen, too. He was 6'6"!
A: Oh yeah. I forgot. There was him.

A VERY informal conversation, teetering on the brink of grammaticality, but natural, perhaps?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

A VERY informal conversation, teetering on the brink of grammaticality, but natural, perhaps?
Yes.

I see that COCA gives only five citations for 'there was he/him' - and yours sounds more natural than the COCA ones.

kenji

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines

A: I always seem to date such short guys!
B: Really?
A: Yeah, there was Pete, who was like 5'5". There was Jon, who was maybe 5'8". There was Greg, who was no more than 5'6"

-

I think the subjective case rightfully follows the verb when "there" is used to introduce the subject.

May I know your take on this?

A: Oh yeah. I forgot. There was he!

Hmmm. I am not a native of the language, I may not be able to understand when you say it sounds natural. :-( sorry.
Thanks! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

A: Oh yeah. I forgot. There was he!
That sounds very unnatural.
The 'rule' about subject forms after BE was never one that was observed by more than a minority of native speakers. It always sounded affected to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.