[Grammar] Can I use "~was native to some place" even though subject is not animal or plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Can I use "~was native to some place" even though subject is not animal or plant?

I learned I can use "a native of~" when referring to "person".
But I learned that I should use "native to~" when I refer to "animal or plant".
By the way, I found quite confusing sentence from my book which doesn't correspond to what I schooled.
Please give me some explanation about this sentence below.
"After United States took over Louisiana, the Creole cultural identity became a means of distinguishing who was truly native to Louisiana."
The word "who" in the above sentence is not "plant or animal". And I looked up the word "native" again in my dictionary, it says "Plants or animal that are native to a particular region live or grow there naturally and were not brought there."
I'm really confusing now. Is the sentence "After United States took over Louisiana, the Creole cultural identity became a means of distinguishing who was truly native to Louisiana." grammatical?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Can I use "~was native to some place" even though subject is not animal or plant?

People can also be "native" to an area. This is speaking of the settlers in Louisiana who were "originally" there from when it was a French territory and how their culture differentiated them from later settlers who came after the territory became part of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.