Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #1

    Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    I knew how to interpret "as it is" and "as of now" from the sentences, but I didn't know how to use it well.
    And I'm not sure if "as it is" and "as of now" are interchangeable.
    Please check these sentences below are grammatically correct and natural to be expressed.

    1.They have no way but to watch economic decline as it is.
    2.They have no way but to watch economic decline as of now.
    3.They have no way but to watch economic decline at the present.
    4.They have no way but to watch economic decline at current situation.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungjou View Post
    I knew how to interpret "as it is" and "as of now" from the sentences, but I didn't know how to use it well.
    And I'm not sure if "as it is" and "as of now" are interchangeable.
    Please check these sentences below are grammatically correct and natural to be expressed.

    1.They have no way but to watch economic decline as it is.
    2.They have no way but to watch economic decline as of now.
    3.They have no way but to watch economic decline at the present.
    4.They have no way but to watch economic decline at current situation.
    None of them is natural English. It's not clear what exactly you are trying to say.

  3. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #3

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    Then, is it okay if I use expression like "They have no way to overcome economic decline for the present."?

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungjou View Post
    Then, is it okay if I use expression like "They have no way to overcome economic decline for the present."?
    No.

    It is difficult to offer a more helpful answer, because I am not sure what you are trying to say,.

  5. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #5

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    I wanted to make sure whether it's okay to use "for the present" or not if there are no approachable measures.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,907
    #6

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    If you mean "At the present time, they (whoever they are) don't have a way to overcome the current economic decline which exists in their particular area (financial/geographical/business)" then "for the present" is fine. It means that that is the situation right now but suggests that it might change. Note that it doesn't suggest the economic decline might change, only that "they" currently can't overcome the effects of that decline.

  7. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #7

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you mean "At the present time, they (whoever they are) don't have a way to overcome the current economic decline which exists in their particular area (financial/geographical/business)" then "for the present" is fine. It means that that is the situation right now but suggests that it might change. Note that it doesn't suggest the economic decline might change, only that "they" currently can't overcome the effects of that decline.
    Then, If I use expression like
    "
    They have no way to overcome economic decline as of now.", does it mean "They might have no way to overcome not only now but also future"?

  8. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,907
    #8

    Re: Does "as it is" mean the same as "as of now"?

    "As of now" (which many people don't like) means "from now and continuing into the future for an unspecified period of time, possibly forever".

Similar Threads

  1. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 08:14
  2. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  3. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:36
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •