Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
A hot summer day of the year of 1919, a steamship was sailing in the cool (or cold?) water of Atlantic Ocean under the colors of Royal Dutch Sea Lines.

or

A hot summer day of the year of 1919, a steamship belong to Royal Dutch Sea Lines, was cruising in the cool water of Atlantic Ocean.

or any other suggestion?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Which one is true?

A hot summer day of the year of 1919, a steamship was sailing in the cool (or cold?) water of Atlantic Ocean under the colors of Royal Dutch Sea Lines.

or

A hot summer day of the year of 1919, a steamship belong to Royal Dutch Sea Lines, was cruising in the cool water of Atlantic Ocean.

or any other suggestion?

My suggested version is:

One hot summer's day in 1919, a Royal Dutch Sea Lines steamship was sailing in the freezing waters of the Atlantic Ocean.

I have underlined the parts which you might want to look at quite closely.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Thanks emsr2d2 :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks emsr2d2 :)

You're welcome. Two more points:

1) I forgot to point out that "Which one is true?" is not correct. Check the definition of "true". It is better worded "Which version is better?" However, as the forum guidelines state, your title should include part of the phrase you are querying so you could have used "A steamship was sailing ..." Even though you're not actually querying that specific phrase, if nothing else, it makes it a lot easier for other members to find your post again quickly by just looking for the title.

2) There is no need to post a comment to say "Thank you". Your thanks are most welcome but simply clicking the Like button at the bottom of a post which has helped you is sufficient.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Sorry, my English is very bad and I'm trying to learn it better. But everytime I make specific errors. :-D

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

I've read lots of books in English and I can understand nicely but my writing is very bad. Do you think If I write a story, I can advance it?

Status
Not open for further replies.