Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone!
I'm a student from VietNam
I have some questions about words and phrases:
genius
what is the meaning and the use of these 2 phrases:
- to be a stroke of genius (ex: Her idea was a troke of genius - Oxford dictionary 8th edition)
- to be of + subject + genius (ex: a states man of genius - Oxford dictionary 8th edition)

and please tell me if I have applied the right structure in this sentece:
The boyis concern (to be) of mathematical genius
I'm really grateful if anyone can help me.
Thank you
Triet96​

Last edited:

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
A stroke of genius is some concept that is really really intelligent. The "a stroke" part basically means "an action".

For someone to be "of genius" is to have lots of intelligence. "Of genius" would describe a person possessing "genius", lots of intelligence.

So I guess you could also say that "a stroke of genius" is an action possessing genius.

triet96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks. I didn't know to get an answer this fast.
However, it still baffles me whether I can use the phrase "of ...genius" right after the To be verb. In addition, I feel dubious about how that phrase should stay in a sentence. So it would be very nice if you can come up with some examples.
And I've got another question:
Is "inspiring" and "inspirational" different? I thought their meanings are quite close. Are they exchangeable in most situations?
Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone!
I'm a student from Vietnam and I have some questions about words and phrases:

1) genius
What is the meaning and the use of these 2 phrases?
- to be a stroke of genius (ex: Her idea was a stroke of genius - Oxford dictionary 8th edition)
Are you sure the dictionary actually says "to be a stroke of genius"? The phrase "a stroke of genius" is used a lot but only to refer to an action or an idea, as in their example, or "Wow, that was a stroke of genius".

- to be of + subject + genius (ex: a states man of genius - Oxford dictionary 8th edition)
Should that read "a statesman"? If not, it doesn't make any sense.

[STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Also, please tell me if I have applied the right structure in this sentence:

The boy is concern (to be) of mathematical genius
No. I think perhaps you mean "The boy is considered to be a mathematical genius".

[STRIKE]
I'm​
[/STRIKE]
I would be really grateful if anyone [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could help me. Thank you.
Triet96​

See above.

triet96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you so much. I'm really sorry I haven't replied sooner as I was on vacation.
I'm really grateful that you not only answer my questions clearly but also correct my writing! I couldn't expect a better answer. Thank you so much.
By the way, I want to ask about the use of the phrase "as such". How should it be placed in a sentece and what does it mean?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
By the way, I want to ask about the use of the phrase "as such".

Please ask unrelated questions like this in a separate thread, with a helpful title — such as As such.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.