If I can spare the life of just one idiot, my work is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
My biggest contribution to The Quotations Page is The Motivational Quotes of the Day. This collection started in a recipe box at my place of employment. I was in a job that I despised and every day was a struggle not to quit or murder someone. I began collecting motivational quotes to retain my sanity. [...] Please enjoy it. If I can spare the life of just one idiot, my work is done.
(The Quotations Page: About this Site)

What could she possibly allude to?

Does she imply that her quotes could help someone who wants to quit a job or murder somebody (presumably some idiot), not to murder him or her, hence, she indirectly helps to spare the life of that idiot? :)

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My biggest contribution to The Quotations Page is The Motivational Quotes of the Day. This collection started in a recipe box at my place of employment. I was in a job that I despised and every day was a struggle not to quit or murder someone. I began collecting motivational quotes to retain my sanity. [...] Please enjoy it. If I can spare the life of just one idiot, my work is done.
(The Quotations Page: About this Site)

What could she possibly allude to?

Does she imply that her quotes could help someone who wants to quit a job or murder somebody (presumably some idiot), not to murder him or her, hence, she indirectly helps to spare the life of that idiot? :)

Thanks.

That's what she seems to be saying.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But those things (not quitting and not killing idiots) are secondary achievements - compiling the list helped the writer retain her sanity. She hopes reading/using the list will help in the same way.

But it's very strangely expressed. Therre is an idiom (more just a convention) - 'If I have [<verbed>]/can <verb>, my life/work/... has not been in vain/wasted/...'. 'My work is done' is something a superhero says before going to another universe. I've never before seen the two mixed like this. It's mock grandiloquent and unnecessarily hard to read - her work is done; there's no 'if' about it. So I'm not surprised suprump found it confusing! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.