Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Can I say that "If she arrived there yesterday, she can come here tomorrow"?
Thanks!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"...then she can come here tomorrow."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

trueheart_205

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
So, What do that sentence mean? Can you explain clearly? I see its structure does not followed what I was taught.
Which conditional sentence is it?
I think the "if" clause is unreal at present, so I may replace "yesterday" with "now" or not use it
Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a bit of an odd sentence but it's not totally unlikely. Let's say this is the situation. Jane lives in San Francisco. I live in New York. I want her to come and visit me but obviously it is quite a long way. She doesn't like to fly for too long at one time so she has decided to travel across the country but she will do it in stages.

Four days ago, on Monday, she left San Francisco and flew to Missoula, Montana. On Wednesday, she flew to Nebraska. I know she had a ticket to fly on Thursday (yesterday) from Nebraska to Chicago but I'm not entirely sure that she actually caught the plane.

However, it is my opinion that if she successfully arrived in Chicago yesterday, then it is not unreasonable for her to travel from Chicago to New York tomorrow. She would have had some time to rest in Chicago before continuing her journey. My opinion (as stated at the beginning of this paragraph) could lead me to say:

If she arrived there yesterday, she can come here tomorrow.

If it is true that she arrived in Chicago yesterday, then I think it's perfectly possible for her to travel to New York tomorrow.

That is, of course, just one possible context and interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.