Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this writing is too vague in indicating subjects and objects, sometimes it seems to focus on ourselves(me) and other times, on others.
1.Is this "expressive message of ours" related to "our stony faces" or "others' stony faces"? Who's reacting who?
2. Who's engraving "these stereotypes" to whose face?

is78
ex)Sociologically speaking, facial expressions virtually have the effect of changing your feelings. A smile or a laugh, for example, can cheer someone up enormously, while on the other hand we regard indifferent stony faces, made as a reaction to an emotional and expressive message of ours, as insulting or offending. The face, as a mysterious medium for conveying attraction and rejection, reveals the identity and the current emotional state of a person. Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment; sympathy or antipathy develops immediately, right at the very first meeting, and only with difficulty are they later revised. The continuous repetition of a certain facial expression "engraves" these stereotypes onto our face, so that finally our life becomes mirrored by our face. This will have happened by about the age of 35 years.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I think this writing is too vague in indicating subjects and objects, sometimes it seems to focus on ourselves(me) and other times, on others.
1.Is this "expressive message of ours" related to "our stony faces" or "others' stony faces"? Who's reacting who?
2. Who's engraving "these stereotypes" to whose face?

ex)Sociologically speaking, facial expressions virtually have the effect of changing your feelings. A smile or a laugh, for example, can cheer someone up enormously, while on the other hand we regard indifferent stony faces, made as a reaction to an emotional and expressive message of ours, as insulting or offending. The face, as a mysterious medium for conveying attraction and rejection, reveals the identity and the current emotional state of a person. Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment; sympathy or antipathy develops immediately, right at the very first meeting, and only with difficulty are they later revised. The continuous repetition of a certain facial expression "engraves" these stereotypes onto our face, so that finally our life becomes mirrored by our face. This will have happened by about the age of 35 years.

1. When we say something in an expressive, emotional way to somebody, and get a seemingly indifferent, stony-faced look in return, we feel insulted.
2. If we often repeat a certain facial expression, over time that expression becomes, in a sense, "engraved" on our faces and signals to those around us what sort of person we are. Although this may be a superficial first impression, it can be difficult to change.

not a teacher

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
2.What does "Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment;" mean? I don't get it.
3.What does "This will have happened by about the age of 35 years"? Does a fixed facial expression affect our impression?

)Sociologically speaking, facial expressions virtually have the effect of changing your feelings. A smile or a laugh, for example, can cheer someone up enormously, while on the other hand we regard indifferent stony faces, made as a reaction to an emotional and expressive message of ours, as insulting or offending. The face, as a mysterious medium for conveying attraction and rejection, reveals the identity and the current emotional state of a person. Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment; sympathy or antipathy develops immediately, right at the very first meeting, and only with difficulty are they later revised. The continuous repetition of a certain facial expression "engraves" these stereotypes onto our face, so that finally our life becomes mirrored by our face. This will have happened by about the age of 35 years.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I deleted 1 as three questions are too much burden. :)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
The face, as a mysterious medium for conveying attraction and rejection, reveals the identity and the current emotional state of a person. Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment; sympathy or antipathy develops immediately, right at the very first meeting, and only with difficulty are they later revised. The continuous repetition of a certain facial expression "engraves" these stereotypes onto our face, so that finally our life becomes mirrored by our face. This will have happened by about the age of 35 years.

2.What does "Its messages are intuitively registered by the environment;" mean? I don't get it.
3.What does "This will have happened by about the age of 35 years"? Does a fixed facial expression affect our impression?

I deleted 1 as three questions are too much burden.
:)

Thanks for lessening my burden, Keannu, I will happily struggle on with the remainder.

2. I think "the environment" is used here in a slightly unusual way, in that it seems to refer only to the people (and animals?) that are around us and who intuitively read our facial expressions and respond to them. I would have used "intuitively registered by those around us", or something similar.

3. It's saying that certain expressions might be so common for an individual that they will eventually become set in the face in some subtle way, and that this will have happened by about the age of 35.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.