• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Why is this wrong?

Hey, I'm practising tenses and here are two examples I don't understand fully so I would like to ask you to explain them to me.

Soon after _____(make) the Olympic swimming squad, she heard older girls discussing male hormone dosages.
    My solution: having made
    The solution from the key: making

Not long after the Olympics she was admitted to hospital, ________(suffer) from inflammation of the ovaries.
    My solution: having suffered
    The solution from the key: suffering

Okay, maybe the second one is really more sensible if only -ing form is used but still... when it comes to grammar, why are they wrong? I'm pretty sure I've seen that kind of structure (having+past participle) somewhere but I can't recall where.... So WHEN is it correct to use that structure if it exists, of course?

Ignore the meaning of the sentences as much as possible, they are taken from an old article and probably don't make much sense to someone who hasn't read it. :D

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Why is this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by arandomgirl View Post
    Hey, I'm practising tenses and here are two examples I don't understand fully so I would like to ask you to explain them to me.

Soon after _____(make) the Olympic swimming squad, she heard older girls discussing male hormone dosages.
    My solution: having made
    The solution from the key: making

Not long after the Olympics she was admitted to hospital, ________(suffer) from inflammation of the ovaries.
    My solution: having suffered
    The solution from the key: suffering

Okay, maybe the second one is really more sensible if only -ing form is used but still... when it comes to grammar, why are they wrong? I'm pretty sure I've seen that kind of structure (having+past participle) somewhere but I can't recall where.... So WHEN is it correct to use that structure if it exists, of course?

Ignore the meaning of the sentences as much as possible, they are taken from an old article and probably don't make much sense to someone who hasn't read it. :D

Thanks in advance!
    With your first example, I would argue that your "having made" is actually as acceptable as "making".

However, in the second example, it wouldn't make any sense to be admitted to hospital "having suffered from" anything. That suggests that you had suffered from the problem in the past but not now. It would be a bit late to admit you to hospital for something you suffered from in the past. She was admitted to hospital at the same time as suffering inflammation of the ovaries. That is why she was admitted. She was in the process of suffering the medical problem and was admitted to hospital as a direct result.

To use "having suffered" in that context, you could say something like "Having suffered from inflammation of the ovaries for several years, it was incredible that she was still able to compete at an Olympic level".

Having taken off his hat, he entered the room = He took off his hat (somewhere else), then he entered the room.
    She drove to the church, having dropped her children off at nursery = She dropped her children off at nursery, then she drove to the church.
    Taking off his hat, he entered the room = He entered the room while taking his hat off

"Having + past simple" = an action already done, and then followed by another action
    "Verb + ing" = two actions happening at the same time.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 01-Jun-2012 at 15:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Thank you sooooo much. ^^ It really helped a lot. :) It confirmed my suspicions haha.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would just like to add (before someone else does) that "He was admitted to hospital having suffered a heart attack/stroke" would be acceptable. With a medical problem which lasts just a few seconds, you are obviously unlikely to be admitted to hospital at the same time as suffering this sudden affliction. So someone has a heart attack, someone else calls an ambulance and very shortly afterwards they are admitted to hospital. In that context, "having suffered" is appropriate because they did have the heart attack before the hospital admission happened. However, they are, of course, still suffering from the ill-effects of the heart attack when they reach hospital.