Earbud and earphone are interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Earbud and earphone are interchangeable without making any difference?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are "earbud" and "earphone" [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] interchangeable without making any difference?

It might depend on context, as always. My initial instinct would be to say that they are certainly extremely similar and also to point out that we rarely use those terms in the singular. I listen to music on my iPod using headphones or earbuds. I don't think I've ever said "earphones" but I know the term is used.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "earbud" is a relatively new term that has taken the place of what were called "earphones." Only when iPods became popular did the term "earbud" appear.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I always thought that "earbuds" are the sort of headphones that you stick in your ear, such as these:
Skullcandy-Ink.jpg

While headphones (or earphones) can be either that or the sort that you put on your ears (that is the term is more general), like these:
hd280_800.jpg

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I always thought that "earbuds" are the sort of headphones that you stick in your ear, such as these:
View attachment 1332

While headphones (or earphones) can be either that or the sort that you put on your ears (that is the term is more general), like these:
View attachment 1331
That's quite confusing.
I've used only "earphones" when I refer the first picture, and I've known that the second picture is "headphones".
I never say "earphones" if I want to say the device like on the second picture".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
View attachment 1332

View attachment 1331

I refer to the top ones as either earbuds or headphones (I realise that doesn't make any sense but habits are hard to break and for nearly 25 years I used headphones to listen to music so it's hard to change the word). I would only refer to the bottom ones as headphones.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I refer to the top ones as either earbuds or headphones (I realise that doesn't make any sense but habits are hard to break and for nearly 25 years I used headphones to listen to music so it's hard to change the word). I would only refer to the bottom ones as headphones.

That is exactly how I see it.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
View attachment 1332

View attachment 1331

The first picture is earphones or earbuds.

The second is headphones.

Headphones go on your head (and over your ears). Earphones or earbuds go in your ears.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the problem is that earbuds are a relatively recent invention. Many people have been used to saying "I listen to music on/with/through my headphones" that even though the design may have changed, our terminology may not.

I use the little earbuds which fit in your ear, but if I can't find them I ask my flatmate "Have you seen my headphones?" and he knows exactly what I mean. I doubt I will ever go over to saying "Have you seen my earbuds anywhere?"

Status
Not open for further replies.