[Grammar] Should I put "did" in inversion this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
"From India _______which, when they later come into Europe,were known as Arabic numerals."
Is it grammatical if I both use "came the numerals" and "did the numerals came" in the blank?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"From India _______which, when they later come into Europe,were known as Arabic numerals."
Is it grammatical if I both use "came the numerals" and "did the numerals came" in the blank?

I'm not sure I understand. You want to know if you can say:

"From India did the numerals came, which, when they later come into Europe, were known as Arabic numerals"?

The simple answer is no. There are multiple problems with that. As far as your thread title is concerned, using "did" is not appropriate. An inversion would be rather unnatural for what you want to say, but if you absolutely had to, it would be:

From India came the numerals (no comma) which, when they later came to Europe, were known as Arabic numerals."

It would be far simpler and far more natural to say "The numbers which, when they arrived in Europe, were known as Arabic numerals, actually came from India".

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I'm not sure I understand. You want to know if you can say:

"From India did the numerals came, which, when they later come into Europe, were known as Arabic numerals"?

The simple answer is no. There are multiple problems with that. As far as your thread title is concerned, using "did" is not appropriate. An inversion would be rather unnatural for what you want to say, but if you absolutely had to, it would be:

From India came the numerals (no comma) which, when they later came to Europe, were known as Arabic numerals."

It would be far simpler and far more natural to say "The numbers which, when they arrived in Europe, were known as Arabic numerals, actually came from India".

Thank you for delicate explanations. emsr2d2.
Is it still grammatical and natural to leave out comma(,) between numerals and actually in your sentence like below?
"The numbers which, when they arrived in Europe, were known as Arabic numerals actually came from India"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for delicate explanations. emsr2d2.
Is it still grammatical and natural to leave out comma(,) between numerals and actually in your sentence like below?
"The numbers which, when they arrived in Europe, were known as Arabic numerals actually came from India"

In my opinion, no. Leaving "were known as Arabic numerals actually came from India" is unnatural. A break is required. If the sentence were a lot shorter, I might feel differently: "The numbers known as Arabic numerals actually came from India" is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.