Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello Friends,

I am not good at English language, both writing and speaking as it's not my native language. Please help me in this regard. I want to improve my english skills. So, Kindly recommend me any book or any other way to get a good command on English Language.

khalidtalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I am like you I try my best to learn English, to answer to your basic question, using the language is the best way to practice. Anyone can learn it from a book but it is only when you take part in a conversation (preferably with a native speaker) that you really get to practice and discover what you have actually learnt. This is advised to me from an English teacher.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello:

There are many, many, many grammar books for all levels.

When you reach the intermediate level, however, I strongly suggest a book that "everyone" loves:

Practical English Usage by Michael Swan.

He explains things in an easy way (for intermediate-and-above students). If you are at the beginning level, however,

this book would not be appropriate for you at this time.

Also please remember this website has many lessons that can help you.

If you have any questions about grammar or how to find the lessons at this website, just ask here. Someone will

give you the answer.

Good luck and welcome to UsingEnglish.com.

zt4096

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Sir, my grammar is to some extent good. Problem with me is of writing essays, writing expression and english speaking skills. I hope you people have got my point. So, please guide me in this scenario.

Regards

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi zt4096.

If you want to improve your speaking skills then you should practice, as khalidtalk suggested. If you don't have anyone to practice to, then watching movies, series and other programs in English may be very helpful.
Regarding your writing, I believe you should read more, not grammar books, but magazines, newspaper, novels, etc. ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Problem with me is of writing essays, writing expression a

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, z14096:

This website has many forums.

You are now in the "Ask a Teacher" forum. You may ask questions here about grammar.

There is also a forum called Editing & Writing Topics.

If you post some writing on that forum, some people will be very happy to check your writing and make helpful

suggestions.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

P.S. Maybe it is NOT a good idea to start your post with "Sir." That hurts the feelings of female members!

You could write "Dear Teachers," "Dear Friends." Or you could simply say nothing. I noticed that you used the word

"please" in your post. Teachers like that very much.

HelenLayley

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Sweden
I would suggest joining an internet chat forum on a subject that interests you.
This will provide live 'chatting' experiences with other people with similar interests, from all over the world. You can probably find forums where the membership is predominately American or British depending on your preferences.
Even the 'groups' on Facebook would be appropriate, just search for a topic that interests you, a topic that you will have something to say about.
As you get to know the members you can ask them to correct your phrasing or vocabulary choices, or to 'flag up' something you have written that is not grammatically correct even if they cannot themselves explain why they wouldn't 'put it that way' - you can always come on here for the explanations and alternative expressions!
A good way of improving your English is to speak a little or write a little every day - one of the advantages of speaking is that you will also be listening to another's responses - this can be achieved through forums because the style of writing on forums is very like speech.
Good luck!
Helen

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Overall this is good advice from Helen (welcome to Using English, Helen), but be aware that most chat rooms are completely awash with horrible grammar and so many internet abbreviations that even native speakers who are not part of this culture can be confused.
Hai!
H R U?
k. u?
so wazzup?
im gr8!

I find most chat rooms the visual equivalent of nails on a blackboard.

HelenLayley

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Sweden
I'm obviously going to the wrong, or the right, chat forums then!
Perhaps the forums focussed on a specific hobby (a craft, like Quilting) or an area of interest (like, for example, dog breeding or showing) attract more serious posts which are better thought out and more grammatically correct. In most cases you can read a forum, or parts of the forum, before joining.
Or stick to this forum!
Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.